Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 PM

Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?

I would like some ideas on cheapest (i mean f**in cheap, i got 2 kids man!)decent lowered coils i could get for my 93 fastback. And if anyone knows if they will be OK to use with the factory rims and 55 series tires. I dont want it too low to bounce tires off the wheel wells! I want the stiffest possible ride. I cant stand when they advertise, progressive rate springs , what does that tell you about how stiff they are, what is the spring rate and what is the curve as you compress it. Anyhow best deal i have found from searching is these Eibach ones at OREILLY Autoparts. Cant wait to hear some suggestions. THANKS
Attached Thumbnails Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?-eibach.jpg   Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?-dscf0013low.jpg  
Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM

^^^you should just cut your springs. basically spring rate of cut spring = spring rate of eibach's or whatever you are going to waste money on. Unless you are going to buy coilovers, you cant get a stiff ride with stock shocks.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

yes stiffness is not just the springs if you have spring with stock shocks its gona be bouncy cause the stock shocks dont have enough dampening or travel for lower spring you need spring+strut combo and that will run you $400-1400 depending on what you get might as well get coilovers for that price.

but if you want to go lower and dont care about ride quality because your broke just cut the springs. its not worth spending money on springs if your not gona get the right shocks to balance it.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:12 PM

For a relatively inexpensive set up I would probably suggest KYB AGX and RS*R Down Springs. I would suggest some Koni yellows instead of the KYB's, but they are pretty expensive.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

+1 for cutting springs if you want a cheap alternative. if you want to buy cheap springs that perform well get drop zone.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 AM
Club240 Staff

Cut springs are god awful. I will never ever ever ever advocate this.

There are plenty of decent spring option is the mid 100 range. Ask one of the site vendors.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:05 AM

Cut springs cool

Funny I should get a few suggests on that to cut the stock ones! I was looking closely at the front and thinking about cutting one ring off the end of the bottom. Has anyone cut theirs and found the premo cut place?
Attached Thumbnails Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?-dscn0279.jpg   Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?-dscn0280.jpg  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Club240 Staff

Originally Posted by clubredsilvia
^^^you should just cut your springs. basically spring rate of cut spring = spring rate of eibach's or whatever you are going to waste money on. Unless you are going to buy coilovers, you cant get a stiff ride with stock shocks.
Inaccurate. Cutting your springs will not give you the same or even close spring rate. It is a very inaccurate and generally bad way to lower a car. There will be a tendency to bottom out.

You can get a stiff ride with stock shocks, it will just be bouncy, which is also not good.

My advice is to look for a good deal on a set of used suspension if your budget is that tight.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback i really enjoy the car enough stock for now, i put in poly bushings on the stock sways because there cheap, anyhow its just a nice car to drive after i have driven a pickup for 4 yrs. PIECE OUT
Attached Thumbnails Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?-dscf0079low.jpg  
Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Whats with the random picture attachments?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

looks kinda cool, like a rocket car.

movie prop?
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bryan
Whats with the random picture attachments?
lmao i was wondering the same thing
Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 AM

There are really only two options if you want a stiff ride with lowering springs:

1. Megan Racing Lowering Springs
Spring Rates F/R: 6.26 / 4.47 kg/mm
$140

2. RS*R Heavy-Duty Race Springs
Spring Rates F/R: 5.00 / 4.50 kg/mm
$200

Stock Spring Rates: 2.00 kg/mm (front and rear)

Do not cut the springs. The 240SX has very little suspension travel in the front. If you cut the springs, you will be slamming the bump stops like crazy. In order for a 240SX with stock struts to be lowered properly, the spring rates must be increased a lot.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:12 PM

I checked everything out since posting this thread, and the person who posted that the front s-13 has very little travel is correct, i dont see how you could even cut the springs it would be sittin right on the bumpstop, so whats will with all the *******s that tell me to cut the ****, your either ****in stupid or settin me up, I would like to see your car probly paint your hood black fake *** carbon ****er. Hey i think all your parents are callin you from upstairs ***in nerds
Attached Thumbnails Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?-cav_1.jpg   Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?-cav_2.jpg  
Old 10-05-2007, 07:32 PM

wow where did all that aggression come from? lol honest opinion, maintenence should be first on your list with these old cars. if you're going to cheap out on suspension mods then you shouldn't be modding it just yet. just save up and do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: Best Deal on S13 Lowering Springs?