Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Bought it today....

Old 02-17-2004, 07:39 PM

Exclamation Bought it today....

Hey all-

Finished the paperwork this afternoon, and brought it home. A 1995 240SX non-SE. I'm pretty happy about the whole thing. Got a great deal.

I do have one concern though. Tonight, I was out taking a "get to know you" drive and I notice something that I didn't on the test drive (go figure). There is a squeak coming from the rear on the passenger side. It seems to go away when I apply the brake. Like I said, it seems too, but I'm not 100% about that. Any ideas on what the cause could be?

I'm planning on using the car for auto cross, that means wheels/tires and suspension come first (especially with the ugly *** 15's on the car now). I'm taking suggestions for what type of suspension to run. I'm planning on running in DSP class, or Street Prepared. So what do you all think?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 02-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Moved to suspension forums

As for suspension, its endless. You can go for a nice spring/shock combo. That will do well in the Auto X. Upgrade sways, strut bars, tires, brake pads and get vented rotors and you will have yourself a pretty nice auto X car. But the number one thing, SEAT TIME. Get to know your car, love it, know how it acts to what you do to it.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Tien or JIC suspension!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 PM

Seat time I have, I've been racing Solo2 for about 7 years. Started in a Formula Vee, then moved to a 1999 Mustang GT, then my beloved and missed 1998 Porsche Boxster, then I got married. I missed all of last season and am looking to get back in it with the 240. Just got the car today, the first test and tune is this Sunday! So it's going to be as stock as can be for this event, luckily it's a non-point event.

Anyway, I need to know the "what to know's" about the 240's suspension.

Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM

And what about that squeak??????
Old 02-17-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Please try to refrain from posting twice in a row, youc an just go back and edit your last post.

The squeak...you said it seems to go away when braking, so its constant when you are acclerating?
Old 02-20-2004, 05:32 AM

And what about that squeak??????
I had a similar problem with mine. Ya might wanna inspect your rear brake pads. First check to see if your brake pad wear inidcator is hitting the rotor, its a little metal arm that sticks out from the inside pad. If so get new pads.
With a '95 the brakes had to have been done before, sometimes brake shops cheap out and don't put on brake pad shims. They are little metal and plastic pieces that fit between the piston and pad, which absorb vibration i.e. squeak. Remove the caliper (remove the lower bolt and swing up) to see if they are there. If not go get some they are cheap like $5 and get some pad grease while you are at it. You are gonna have to open your brake fluid reservior and twist and push the piston back in a little with needle nose pliers to make up for the extra thickness.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:37 AM

Thank you! I figured it was probably a worn pad, just haven't had time to check it yet. Didn't even think about the shims though. I'll probably take it apart this weekend, and I'll let everyone know.

Thanks again.

Brad
Old 02-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

as for suspention you cant go wront with about any of the major coilovers, Tein for th emost part dont come with camber plates, a must have, JIC has horrible customer service. www.dgtrials.com sells SilkRoad coilovers that are a good price and quality. dollar for dollar they would be your best bet.

with the 240 a high springrate will make autoX fun but not fast. some nice 8/6 combo will do you well along with sticky tires and LSD is huge. good luck and keep us updated on you setup.