Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:37 AM
war

brake problems

What does it mean when the brakes start sticking as your moving creating a squeaking noise. It will also squeak when I brake. Sometimes but rarely it will sound like there grinding. Me and 2 of my friends have that same problem with the brakes grinding at times. Brakes are in good condition. I have been thinking its jus air in the lines. Any ideas?

Last edited by war; 06-02-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Bleed the system just in case, and check your pads. I'm pretty sure its either your pads or rotors
Old 06-03-2004, 09:50 PM

There are shims that you put on the outside of the brake pad to keep them from squeaking. I know on my bro's car, when i do his brake pads, i always put shims on and the orange/red (im colorblind, sorry correct me) anti-squeak brake goo on them. I dunno if the 240sx brake pads come with shims but that might be one of the causes for squeaking...that or you can shave off the edges of the brake pads to stop squeaking too (that sometimes works).
Old 06-12-2004, 08:43 AM

yea they have shims, some calapers are known to lock up and not release when you let off the brake fully, which makes this sound, you might want to see if you can compress the calaber all the way
Old 06-13-2004, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

Re: brake problems

Originally posted by war
What does it mean when the brakes start sticking as your moving creating a squeaking noise. It will also squeak when I brake. Sometimes but rarely it will sound like there grinding. Me and 2 of my friends have that same problem with the brakes grinding at times. Brakes are in good condition. I have been thinking its jus air in the lines. Any ideas?
Brakes that stick and wont fully release means that the caliper pistons are not functioning correctly. Like Jynx said, bleed the brakes (start bleeding from the farthest caliper from the brake MC, in majority of the USDM market cars the bleeding process should go rear passenger side caliper, rear driver side caliper, front passenger side caliper and then front driver side caliper) make sure while ur bleeding the brakes that u always check the brake MC resevoir for enuff fluid, if u forget to check, u have to start all over again. It helps to have this one tool my teacher dubbed as the "Vacula" it connects to any aircompressor line and uses air to bleed out ur lines, makes the bleeding job get completed asap... BUT MAKE SURE U KEEP AN EYE ON THE BRAKE MC FOR ADEQUATE AMOUNTS OF FLUID! HAHA

U dunno how many times we had to bleed my friend's S13 because we kept forgetting to check HAHA Oh man that was a good day.

But back to the subject, the squeaking when ur braking is caused by the brake pad wear indicator strip... if there seems to be a good amount of the padding material left on the brake pad, jus simply pull the indicator back jus a slight amount. In doing this, the strip is bent back away from the rotor surface eliminating the squeaking. But remember NOT to bend it too far back or cut it off, u need that indicator to tell u that its time to change the pads before u have metal to metal contact.

Try these 2 methods and see how it goes. Good luck!