Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Camber plates and noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 AM

Camber plates and noise

I am running Tein camber plates with a spring and shock combo, Koni's and RS*R race springs. I installed them yesterday.
The problem I had initially was that I could not install the front assemblies with the metal spacer between the spring top hats (stock ones btw) and the camber plates, it was too tall and would not allow the strut brackets to line up with the knuckles. It was almost an inch of difference. I thought about it for a minute, and realized that if I removed those spacers, it was the same height as the old setup I took off of the car.

With that done, I was able to install them. Went for a test drive after doing the rears. Immediately I noticed that when going over any kind of bumps a some what loud knocking noise from the fronts. But, I also am not running the spacer between the top hats and camber plates. There are no noises when turning, everything is normal there.

I took the front springs and struts back off again today. In between the camber plates and top perches I added in a metal washer and a rubber washer to take up some space and eliminate any metal on metal contact. Before I put these in, I was moving the camber plates up and down while the springs were compressed, I could see that there was some play there without an kind of spacer.

After I installed the washers, I did the same thing and there was no play. I could even see where the camber plates had marks from contact with the upper perches. With these in place the assemblies still seemed to not allow the knuckles and strut bolt holes to line up, but I disconnected the front sway bar end links so I could push the knuckles down to get the bolts in. I got them reinstalled and drove it. The knocking noise was still there, but happened less than before. I wonder what it is I need to do to get rid of this noise. I thought for sure that it would have gone away.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:01 PM

I installed stance coilovers on my zenki last year and noticed the same thing. I think thats why the engineers at the factory use rubber bushings instead of aluminum.

Just turn your stereo up.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:23 PM

I heard that the whole plate and spring/strut will cause problems, but i talked to a friend with an subie and they dont have the same problems...maybe its a 240 thing. thats why im just going to save up for coilovers.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Contributing Member

the issue with spring strut combo is.. when you descide to run a much wider and aggressive wheel and tire,, you will not be able to.

also silencers will be needed to kill the sounds.