Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Changing Rear Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 08:07 PM

Angry Changing Rear Brake Pads

I cannot figure out how to change the rear pads on my 92 240sx. I have the special tool for the piston but I can't get the caliper off. Does it just swivel up out of the way after one bolt? I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old pads out so I can install the new ones. Help please.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

cant get them out?

did you press the brake when the caliper was off? if so use a pry bar.

and just take off the shims
Old 04-23-2005, 04:42 PM

I had to take them off too and this is what you do: First lift the car and be sure to use the two weel stopers that come with the car, since traction and e-brake are on the rear, it might go somewere. then take the wheel of and go to the rear of the caliper, you should see two bolts that hold the asembly, they are the biguest bolts arround that area, after removing these, amke sure that you take off the e-brake, or they will never get off, then after you do this pull the piston out of the asembly so that both pads fall off, then disconectthe holding spring and e-brake lines from the suspension so that the caliper is more "free". then remove the small bleeding bolt as mcuh as you can, and twist the head of the piston as if it was a bolt, it'll go in easily, if it dont, hit it with a rubber hammer. After you get the piston as far back as posible, re-sintall it on the brake asembly and put the new pads, put the whole asembly back and amek sure you tight everything reall good, then repeat for other side. Dont do like me who forgot to put the whole piston into the asembly and left it hanging, then I started bleedign the system and the left side piston blew off with lots of oil all over my garage and the I spent like 2 hours working in slipery, and oily mess trying all home-made remedies until i got the f***ng piston back on there. Be carefull and check that you've put everything back, like the clips for the lines and all.