Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Coilover help

Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Coilover help

hey guys. I got the tein flex coilovers for my s13 and for some reason it sits way lower than i thought it should with it raised all the way up. I have an apex N1 dual exhaust on it and the exhaust only clears the ground by like 1 1/2 inches with the suspension at what i believe should be raised all the way up. does this sound right to you guys?

the exhaust is mounted as high as i can get it. i even shortened one of the hangers and re welded it so it would sit higher.

any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

once i get this taken car of i post pics of my 90% finished drift car.

thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

you have to adjust it a few times bro.... once on the car.. .. do this to both the front and back at the same time.

-make sure the preload on springs are both the same for each respective coil-over on the front and back.

-loosen the bottom most collar

-turn the black tube by hand to raise or lower the vehicle.

-do one side and when you are happy... measure at good points. and repeat on other side

-Do until you have desired ride height..

there is nothing simple about correctly tuning suspension. If you race seriously.. you will modify it alot once installed.

ps

not to sound like a dick.. but no car is ever finished.... especially not a drift car.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit

there is nothing simple about correctly tuning suspension. If you race seriously.. you will modify it alot once installed.
+1,000, I have adjusted my KW's at least 5 times since I got them back in September. If you are truly involved in a motorsport you will be adjusting them all the time. Especially if you go to different tracks, as they can have different elevation changes and different grip levels.

Post a pic of the coilover mounted on the car, one with wheel on and one with wheel off so we can see exactly what you are talking about.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

he might be making a mistake that I made when I first got into coilovers.

I had a mixed up pair of coilovers... the front pair didn't have an separate body height adjustment.. so you lowered the car with the spring. As most of us know.. that is also considered your preload and is responsible for rebound a bit. The way they combat this is to have super stiff springs to reduce the bouncing.

My rear JCI FLT A1 coilovers had spring adjustment and ride height separately like all modern coilovers... However since I did the front first, I was cranking on my springs instead of the center tube.

I am now wearing D2 Rs coilovers on my skyline. with installation and initial settings, It took me 4 hours. I have made many adjustments since installing them. Sucks though because Im on snow tires. Once I add street tires, Ill have to adjust my spring load again and then at the track. This is my first set with Dampening control... freaking awesome.

Op

if you are bouncing.. odds are your springs are not loaded enough. The key to this is to turn collar at the bottom of the springs clockwise an inch at a time.drive around and repeat the process until happy. Its a pain in the *** but is necessary for a correct ride and longevity of your coilovers.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 02-20-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:29 AM

ill post up some pics tonight of the car on the ground with the tire on and the coilovers with the tire off.

the main thing im worried about is that someone told me that i could raise the car too high with the threaded center and that doing that could **** my coilovers. the damn instructions from tein were not very helpful at all they showed on way to set it up but didnt show the safe amounts to adjust if from the basic setting or anyting. lol.

im not bouncing. its a pretty stiff ride btw.so i think the spring load is ok

BTW i know the car will never be done. i just found some more stuff i wanna do last night lol. by done i meant to where id actually be happy showing people what ive done so far. I dont think the car will ever be more than 90% done either because of the fact that once i do something to it i find something else i wanna try. its like a never ending process that loves to leave my wallet empty.

ill get those pics up. and thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by nvrstock; 02-20-2010 at 11:07 AM.