Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

control arm help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 04:22 PM

control arm help

hey i need some help...so i tried drifting..and i jacked my car pretty good...i ran my front passenger wheel into a curb and i bent a some stuff....so heres what i need to replace..

control arm
tension rod
crossmember (can't do this myself)

so i got the tension rod off...and most of the control arm...theres just one piece i cant figure out how to detach...and its the part where the control arm is connected by a ball joint..

i got this tool called a "ball joint seperater"..and it looks like a pitch fork...i know im suppose to wedge it somewhere...but i don know where...and how to use it...so yeah need some help..maybe some diagrams..thanks...late
Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 PM

actually very simply put wedge you "fork" aka known as a pickle fork but anyways wedge it into the balljoint and seperate the control arm from the knuckle... u will have to have a good hammer for this... also balljoint should not be reused... okay hope that cleared up some problems
Erik
Old 08-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

the street took your cars life, stop street drifting.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 PM

everything should come out easily, the bolt behind the caliper and sheild should come right out, if you have a gun, if not, hope you have strong arms.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

I did this just last weekend. Went to AutoZone got a pickle fork and a 3lb. hammer. Didn't even use the pickle fork. We prayed to the god Odin and a couple good whacks with that hammer and the ball joints popped loose. They came off much easier than we thought they would. That could have just been a fluke so I would recommend that anybody else just use the pickle fork to do their whacking...HEH! Especially if you plan to re-use the control arm.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MikeisNissan
everything should come out easily, the bolt behind the caliper and sheild should come right out, if you have a gun, if not, hope you have strong arms.
The hard part about that bolt is breaking it. MAN WHAT A TASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a breaker bar or a cheater pipe for the much needed leverage. If you don't have these than I hope your last name is Banner cause....