Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

do I need to get camber kit for S- Tech + GR2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:19 PM

do I need to get camber kit for S- Tech + GR2?

since S - Tech are lowering springs. do I need to get camber kit? and do I need to do alignment after installing new shocks and sway bar?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

yes and yes
Old 12-10-2004, 04:20 PM

Yeah, if you wanna keep those tires for anywhere near their normal tread life, get a camber kit. Even for that small of a drop, it changes the camber significantly.

Just get camber plates, then you'll have adjustability.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:47 PM

Question

I got a question I installed full coil overs on my car like 4-5 days ago and I let go the steering wheel when Im driving but the car just go freaking straight ,no to the left not the right just straight ,do u guys still think I need alignment?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

i have the gr2's with s-tech yeah you need both the front will straightin out but the rear need the camber kit

i love mine i need more drop though so i may be sellin them
Old 12-15-2004, 10:25 PM

where can I find cheap camber. I don't need them to be adjustable. just keep my car straight.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 PM

www.pdm-racing.com

Check out the suspension section

Rear camber kit goes for $100

Last edited by EuroG20; 12-15-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:25 PM

so I dont' need front?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

get camber plats and RUCA
Old 12-20-2004, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

camber plates and RUCA's are the best way, but for S-Tech and GR-2's you can get away with camber bolts up front and adjusting the factory rear camber bolts out to max. You'll still have some negative camber, but it's not as bad as without. Either way, whenever you lower a car, an alignment is necessary because both camber and toe changes when you go lower, but extreme toe angles actually wears tires faster than bad camber.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rivneo1
I got a question I installed full coil overs on my car like 4-5 days ago and I let go the steering wheel when Im driving but the car just go freaking straight ,no to the left not the right just straight ,do u guys still think I need alignment?

...care to rewrite that?

(seperate post for this guy)
Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 AM

but would lowering you car effect your toe angle?
Old 12-22-2004, 01:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jackyliem
but would lowering you car effect your toe angle?
definitely, because by lowering the vehicle you're compressing the suspension components. It's a geometry thing - on the s13/s14's in the rear, if you lower the rear toe angle increases because the toe rods stay at their length throughout the suspension travel. For the front, it's the steering tie rods that stay the same length also. I don't want to explain it here because it's a lot of typing, but to keep it simple, toe is affected when you change the cars ride height anywhere different from factory spec.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:31 AM

i c thanks.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

sweet, i just bought a set of Tein S techs and was about to make a new thread asking about this. You guys have it pretty well covered. I had no idea how camber plates worked and after a little bit of searching I found a full picture install and from that it was easy enough to see how they functioned. And if I'm right RUCA stands for Rear Upper Control Arm. However I still have a couple of questions and I didn't want to make a new thread, because it might get deleted because it's almost a repeat.

1. Why buy camber plates if you can use adjustment bolts for the front for like $10 bucks instead of $100 for the camber plates? Do the Camber plates interfear with closing the hood because of their elevated height?

2. Why do you need to buy a new Rear Upper Control Arm (if is what RUCA stands for)? Is this in addition to the camber plates for the rear? Also I remember seeing somewhere on this site that you can adjust the rear without any extra parts. Is this true?

3. How easy is it to adjust these camber plates and know what degree that you have them adjusted to? I know that in autocrossing a negative camber is desired because it increases the handeling abilitys of the car. So could I theoritically adjust these camber plates before a meet so and then adjust them back afterwords so I wouldn't get bad tire wear?

I'd really appreciate any help or info. given for any of the questions. THANKS!!!

Quick Reply: do I need to get camber kit for S- Tech + GR2?