Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

front brakes in rear?

Old 06-27-2003, 12:41 PM

front brakes in rear?

i have a s14and im switching to 5 lug along w/ z brakes....
i wanted to know if i can bolt on the 240 front calipers in the rear.
would they work?? i've tried NICO forums...but people just dont know.....only know about the freaking sentra's brakes... i also wanted to know if i need the complete rear(hub spindles and all that good stuff....) to switch to 5 lug....i onl need the hubs in the front right? well i hope u guys can answer my prob.
thanx
david
Old 06-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

I think I remember seeing that they won't work in the rear, but why not just try it anyway when you do all this? To answer your other question, for the rear you only need the hubs. Either S14 or Z32 will bolt right up. Up front you only need S14 hubs. And ofcourse wheels and rotors.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:42 PM

thanx....um....yea... im waiting for my z calipers and stuff to come
Old 07-08-2003, 03:40 PM

How about this setup on an s13? My rear rotors are getting cut by..im assuming. Lol. I just replaced my front rotors with factory ones and was thinking ill move em to the back and put on some slotted and drilled ones up front. But i'd like to know if its possible before taking off my front rotors only to find out it was a waste of time, ya mean? Haha.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:49 PM

the setup im talking about is the whole set up...not just the rotors..... your front ROTOR wont fit in the back. ur front rotors are smaller in diameter and are vented(meaning its alot thicker) than ur rear. it wont work.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:11 AM

Thumbs down '89 240sx brakes, exhaust, injectors

You're Foolish if you want to mount front brakes in the rear, although I wish the rear was as easy as the front. First off, you will need to recalibrate your parking brake which , in itself is a pain in the a--! Second, the rotors probably wont fit. The rear brakes on the 240sx are a major pain to deal with. I recently had to take my calipers apart completely only to find out that the rotors and bearings were shot! 3 hours later and that much angrier, I wound up bringing it to a mechanic which cost me a pretty penny. Nissan brakes are the worst! I never had this problem with the drums on my past fords (89 Taurus, 89 Tempo) 83 cadillac, 84 buick riviera, and 88 lincoln. Haven't needed to change it yet on my 2000 Ford Focus.

Also, I recently cut out my resonator on the exhaust and replaced it with straight pipe when the welding rusted. That was simple...only needed the pipe and clamps, a hacksaw and wrench. Saved me a lot of $$ and the car is as quiet as it was with the resonator.<-- Plus I was told it will pass inspection with out this part!

Anyone know how hard it is to replace the front fuel injector..not sure if it is the "o" ring or the injector itself, but it has a very small leak which can be detected when I run the AC and I need to pass inspection in less than a month! Is this hard to replace? It looks easy enough, but looks can be deceiving. Anyone who reads this and has experience with the fuel injectors, please reply a.s.a.p. The more details, the better!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Mounting front brakes on your rear will work but you will loose your emergency brake. The rear brakes on s13s are an intergrated type. The e brake and the caliper are all one unit.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:25 PM

what about the z brakes... im thinking of just swapping everything out for a z system. front rear master cylinder....wondering if i should buy the e brake cable. i hope all the crap fits. i also have a shop that i can work at, im doing everything, so im not paying $hit for installs, never have never will...IM NOT GONNA PAY LIKE $30 for a TIRE ROTATION...HA...wtf~
Old 07-28-2003, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

The z calipers are stand alone. If you install the calipers in your car you will loose your emergency brakes.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

To keep the parking brake with z brakes you need either the z parking brake cable set up or buy an adapter from project silvia.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
To keep the parking brake with z brakes you need either the z parking brake cable set up or buy an adapter from project silvia.
If you install the calipers alone you will still be without e brakes.

You will need the dust shield / hub carrier as well.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah forgot about that. Who the hell would do rear brakes and not a 5 lug conversion with all that z crap anyway?