Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.
View Poll Results: KYB AGX or GR2?
AGX
50.00%
GR2
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

KYB AGX vs. GR2

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

KYB AGX vs. GR2

I've seen that both of these shocks have been recommend as a great setup for 240sx. My question is which is better? I defenitly need a new set because I'm still riding on stock right now and i just picked up a set of Tein S Techs to go on later. I drive pretty hard and wouldn't mind if my ride was a bit stiffer.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a set of AGX shocks because they are adjustable and even KYB America LLC says that the warrenty is still vaild even with lowering springs as long as your drop doesn't exceed 1.5 inches. Since I'm getting a set of Tein S tech springs that won't be an issue.

Also another note is that on the KYB website they say there springs come in an eight way adjustable and a four way adjustable setup. Which is the one the goes with the 240sx? Even on the KYB website it just has the model num. and it doesn't have a listing of all of the model numbers adjustability settings. Also are the front and the rear adjustable or just rear. All of the pics that I have seen seem to indicate that only the rear is adjustable.

I've heard the GR2's are good but are mostly like an above average stock shock replacement. Plus since they aren't adjustable that kinda turns me off. But since I'm fairly new to the tuning world I figured I would ask here before i made my decision.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Re: KYB AGX vs. GR2

Originally posted by twofotisx
I've seen that both of these shocks have been recommend as a great setup for 240sx. My question is which is better? I defenitly need a new set because I'm still riding on stock right now and i just picked up a set of Tein S Techs to go on later. I drive pretty hard and wouldn't mind if my ride was a bit stiffer.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a set of AGX shocks because they are adjustable and even KYB America LLC says that the warrenty is still vaild even with lowering springs as long as your drop doesn't exceed 1.5 inches. Since I'm getting a set of Tein S tech springs that won't be an issue.

Also another note is that on the KYB website they say there springs come in an eight way adjustable and a four way adjustable setup. Which is the one the goes with the 240sx? Even on the KYB website it just has the model num. and it doesn't have a listing of all of the model numbers adjustability settings. Also are the front and the rear adjustable or just rear. All of the pics that I have seen seem to indicate that only the rear is adjustable.

I've heard the GR2's are good but are mostly like an above average stock shock replacement. Plus since they aren't adjustable that kinda turns me off. But since I'm fairly new to the tuning world I figured I would ask here before i made my decision.
GR-2's are better than stock, but aren't considered "performance" - more like a slight advantage over OEM.

AGX gets my vote here. BTW the AGX for 240's (both S13 and S14) are 4-way adjustable in the front, and 8-way in the rear - which should clear up why you saw both 4 and 8 way.

Even if you're farily noew to tuning, you'll get a lot out of AGX's, and by playing with the dampening settings (combined 32 total different setups) you can learn a lot also about how shock stiffness affect your cars handling characteristics
Old 01-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet you have yet to fail me!! I have a feeling my bid to overtake you might have been a tad bit reckless. lol
Old 01-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by twofotisx
Sweet you have yet to fail me!! I have a feeling my bid to overtake you might have been a tad bit reckless. lol
That's what I'm here for bro