Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

master cyliner bore

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:12 PM

master cyliner bore

i am buying a wilwood pedal assembly( reverse mount triple master cylinder) and i have to choose my master cylinder bore. they have them sizing from 5/8 bore, 1.3 stoke all the way up to 1 1/8 bore, 1 ich stroke. ive heard that the bigger the bore the better because it gives you maximum clamping force. is this true? in this case, is bigger better?

btw in the class i will be in i must use stock calipers but have ss brake lines

Last edited by projctSlipAngle; 03-03-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:50 PM

well, dont quote me on this, but the way i would see it in this case, bigger might not be better. sure it would give you better clamping force, but at the same time, with the small surface area of a stock caliper/rotor, that may give too much clamping force, which will cause you to lock up the brakes too fast when braking and cause your wheels to lose traction....so maybe the best route would be to check the FSM and see if it says what the stock bore/stroke is, and then maybe go a step or 2 up from there?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:53 PM

Re: master cyliner bore

Originally posted by projctSlipAngle
i am buying a wilwood pedal assembly( reverse mount triple master cylinder) and i have to choose my master cylinder bore. they have them sizing from 5/8 bore, 1.3 stoke all the way up to 1 1/8 bore, 1 ich stroke. ive heard that the bigger the bore the better because it gives you maximum clamping force. is this true? in this case, is bigger better?

btw in the class i will be in i must use stock calipers but have ss brake lines
Smaller bores will produce more pressure while larger bores will displace more fluid volume with less pedal travel.

The combo of each MC used should total the same area of your current single IF you plan on using the same calipers you have now. If not, then the area requirements need to be based on the projected area of each end of the car with regard to piston area.

And with no assist the larger bores will prove far more difficult to operate if you go too far.