Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Need help prepin for Track in August

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Need help prepin for Track in August

I have a track event coming up in august and i currently have spring/strut combo set up on my s14. I know its fine for DD but now that im trying to get my car track preped i want something with more options. So the obvious choice was to upgrade to Coilovers but then i hit another wall. With soooo many brands out there its hard to decided which coilover to install. I got offers for JIC for 1,300 but thats out of my price range and i also got offers for megans but i tried to and my car was really ruff and unstable. The last offer i got was the Tanabe pro5s personally i didn't know tanabe made coilovers i always thught they only make exhausts but anyways the guy selling me the coilovers said they are on par with JIC and for only a fraction of the cost for the JICs.

for those seeking the same info as me http://www.tanabe-usa.com/five.asp?id=20

Also its has helper springs not sure what they do
Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 PM

When I had my 350Z, I had Tanabe lowering springs. Lowered it just enough to not look stock and to sit just above my wheels/tires. Drove great.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 AM

helper springs are there for more of a daily driving comfort. so it's less stiff/bouncy on roads.

what "track" event are you doing? drifting? or grip?

if you are doing grip, shock/spring combo is good.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

i hate to give vague info, but you just have to get out there with whatever setup you have and tweak accordingly.

if you don't plan to adjust ever.... go with a spring strut combo but chose wisely. if you want adjustability... coilovers are your thing.

there is a suspension thread here with various feedback check that out bro.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
i hate to give vague info, but you just have to get out there with whatever setup you have and tweak accordingly.

if you don't plan to adjust ever.... go with a spring strut combo but chose wisely. if you want adjustability... coilovers are your thing.

there is a suspension thread here with various feedback check that out bro.
ya the event is drift+autox and i signed up for both so most likely i will adjust accordingly as you said.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

when i had my drift and auto-x events. i left the same settings. i just altered tire psi .. as i have said many times here... the relationship between drift and grip is not very different. one you drive on the edge of grip and the other you exceed it.