Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Part 02: Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:53 PM

Part 02: Brakes!

Step 01 was the engine swap (sr20). Now the car goes, but doesn't exactly stop. I put in new rotors and pads in the front when I did the swap (cheapest I could find @ carquest) to tide me over until I could do my real brake swap.

What's in the works?
5 lug conversion
z brakes all around
z rims and tires.

Parts gathered:

5 lug hubs front and rear. New hubs and wheel bearings. Def. need to be replaced on a 15 year old car.

Powerslot rotors front and rear

Z32 Rear calipers

Ferodo DS2500 Front and rear brake pads

G35 Coupe Ebrake lines

An idea of what they'll look like:

Z32 NA rims. Street rims. Eventually upgrade to lightweight 17s.

New 1 1/16th brake master cylinder.

What else is needed? Front calipers & tires to get the setup in and running. I'm planning on getting longer wheel studs (ARP) and some light weight lugnuts. The rears need new hardware kits already, I'm thinking about going for the whole rebuild and powdercoating deal. That's still up in the air. I've already got the conversion lines to use z32 calipers on a 240sx. Just didn't remember to take pictures of 'em.

I settled on the pads by talking to some friends who know more about this stuff than I do. They really recommended them if I was serious about tracking my car for real. I have z32 uprights as well for the rear, but I'll wait to put those in until I can afford to do my suspension setup.

I really can't wait to get these things on. Even doing some spirited driving on back roads the brakes do not give you confidence. You really gotta give yourself some room, or else you'll put yourself in a tree.

More pix can be found here:

http://www.bumnah.com/brakes

I will keep updating this thread as I progress.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Bumnah; 07-29-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Update time!

Got my calipers in. Bought 'em off of an ebay seller. Aluminum 30 mm. Rebuilt, and painted Hell Yeah I street race! Red.

Z32 Front calipers

The Conversion lines. Picked 'em up from FRSport

Motul 600 Brake fluid. Get it all at once I say.

All that's left are the ARP longer wheels studs, new lug nuts, and tires. I'm not sure if I'm going to rebuild my rear calipers or just clean them up. I want to paint the rear a different color than the fronts. I'm thinking lime green or something.

Hopefully in August I'll have my parts together to get this stuff done.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Bumnah; 07-29-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

how much has this whole project costed you so far?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:46 PM

I dunno, too much. It's best not to think about things like that.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:37 PM

UPDATE TIME!

I've almost gathered up all the parts I need to do the conversion. All I'm waiting on now are tires, and getting the rear calipers powder coated. Caliper hardware has already been ordered, just waiting for it to show up.

Latest pieces of the puzzle are ARP long extended wheel studs, and Gorilla open ended lugnuts.

Information:

If you are doing a 5 lug conversion using Ichiba hubs and would like to go with longer wheel studs, this is the Knurl size. 14.3 knurl for the front hubs, and 13 knurl for the rear hubs. S13 owners for sure, may be different for s14 owners. Read up before you purchase.

Doing the swap was not hard at all; if you haven't installed the hubs yet. There is no way to install these studs with the hubs already installed. I put a nut on the stud I wanted to remove, took my 4 lbs hammer, 3 solid hits later, it was out. Line up your new extended stud, put two thick washers on, then a nut, and hit tighten it up. You can do it by hand, but I'm a girly man so I hit it with my gun (god bless it).

Pix!

ARP Studs

Gorilla Open ended lugnuts

Tools used (YAY AIR GUN!)

Finished product

Forest of studs

Front hubs

Rear hubs

So close I can almost taste it!

Last edited by Bumnah; 08-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Bumnah, how did you get the ebrake to work on the rear? Is the G35 ebrake all you really need???
Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 PM

i haven't done the install on the vehicle yet.

you'll need the ebrake cable (stock one is too short)
the actual ebrake assembly itself
rotors for z32 that have the drum hat built in.
and brakes shoes.

here's a picture of the ebrake assembly

Old 08-19-2007, 01:42 PM

hey man, how did you get your lug bolts on?? just hammered them in there? i need to know hpw to get those in..
Old 08-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

You need a lug nut, a deep impact socket and an impact gun. Hammers are ok to an extent, but safe way to do it is lug nut, deep impact, and impact gun.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Iwanta nismo
hey man, how did you get your lug bolts on?? just hammered them in there? i need to know hpw to get those in..

i used my airgun to pull them in. it make life much easier.

basically i put a nut on the end of the stud i wanted to remove. giving me a nice surface to hammer nad not mushroom any studs i wanted to remove.

i then hammered the old studs out (3 good hits each basically)

to put in the new studs. i put in 2 thick washers, and a nut. hand tightened it down till it sat nice and even. i then hit it up with air gun until i pulled it all the way through. 1 hour job max and then gathering up tool doing it, and clean up. the gun made it a lot easier. pulling the studs in by hand would've doubled my time easy.

if you're doing extended studs on hubs still on the car, you'll need to remove the hubs to have enough space. there isn't enough space behind the hubs to slide in your new studs.

here is a good write up one of our members; positron:
http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39057
Old 08-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Score. Way out of my budjet, but its one of those.. "i would like to do down the roadsometime, but will never get around to it because im a cheapass." sorta things.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM

what's out of your budget? the brakes or the extended wheel studs?

upgrading to oem 4 piston calipers up front and dual in the rear, is almost a no brainer. why would you not want them?

you can also keep it simple by doing just the front and redrilling to the 4 lug pattern. find the proper se rims and you can get them on for less than $500.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 PM

That's not too bad, i drive the car everyday, so i don't need a track car, but there is no such thing as TOO good of brakes.

I just need to get my rb in..
Old 09-21-2007, 08:22 PM

Update time!

Alright it's been a while since I addressed this brake swap.

So I've finally gathered up alllll the parts.

I've gotten new rear calipers that are already rebuilt and powder coated red to match my fronts. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do, you can be assured I will photograph 'em . Last big purchase for the swap were tires. I planned on getting Azenis which I did.

The tires are gong to be mounted on z32 NA rims i bought over a year ago. The rims are pretty beat up, but they'll work for now. I wanted to upgrade to something after market, but these will have to do now. Eventually I hope to have FN01R's 17x7.5f and 17x8.5r for the streets (te37s for the track). FN01R's could've been a reality sooner than later, but driving the car for fun this past weekend, it was apparent the brakes couldn't wait any longer. I went with my original game plan.

Now I just have to put all of this together. I'm hoping to have a friend help me and take pictures of the whole process. Hopefully I will it done in October, and hopefully hit up atleast one track event this November. If all goes well I should have some coilovers on the car in the middle of winter. I really would love to do a full suspension tear down, but it will have to wait until the winter of 08. I want to track the car in 08 as much as I can, and just enjoy the fruits of my labor. I need a break from this money pit.

Anyways, enough talk. Pix:

Falken Azenis Tires

Rear tires

Front Tires

Last edited by Bumnah; 09-21-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Good Greif Bumnah, you are the man. Good Work man, good work.

Quick Reply: Part 02: Brakes!