Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Part 02: Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 PM

i'm glad someone realizes my greatness.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Niceness! I've seen first hand how good those tires are!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM

yeah. i've used them before on my civic. this will be my 3rd set purchased; first for the 240.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Sexy tires man, i assume it doesnt snow where you live.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ryguy
Sexy tires man, i assume it doesnt snow where you live.

oh no, it snows, you can assume i've got a DD with 4x4. i've worked since i was 17 to get a project car, a dd and a place to work on my project car. i finally got all the pieces together last year when i picked up my 240
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

"Hell Yeah I Street Race" Red pWns!!!!

Yeah Im ****ed once the snow comes....
FR and snow on Dry tires dosent mix too cute.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM

So I finally started on my 5 lug swap.

Today I did the following:

Got the car on 4 jackstands
Took off front brake calipers & rotors
Disconnected the brake lines
Took off the front hubs
Disconnected the rear brake lines
Took off my stock brake master cylinder.

I only spent 3 hours or so on it today. And half of that was leaving to go to sears/lowes to locate a 30 mm socket. I didn't work too hard or fast. The front took no time at all to take apart.

The rear's will take more time, since I plan to take the whole upright off and swap everything over, then install everything. I'm planning on having the whole rear torn apart on tuesday evening.

So far so good. Sorta upset because i'm borrowing a massive snap on slide hammer from a buddy to help convince a stuck hub to come out, but the front two came off easy. I hope I get to use my sweet slide hammer.

Pix:

Front all torn apart. Should I keep the dust shield or no?

Car on all fours. Sweetness.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Man you got a sweet setup to work on your car at!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM

ITS FLYING! HAHA oh man i gotta get new calipers pads and rotors now that i think about it... i should get on that.. haha good thread man hope it comes out great!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM

Made some more progress. I got the front brakes all taken care of. Easy as pie; IF I didn't screw one of my calipers up. I wasn't paying attention and I stripped the hole where the hydraulic lines goes into the back of the caliper. Spent a few days trying to get it repaired. I luckily found another re manufactured caliper at advance auto. At first they sent me an Iron one, but second time around I ordered up the proper one. I took it, and painted it red to match my other 3 and knocked it out. I was pissed that I made such an amateur mistake.

I also sourced up a HICAS front steering rack. This is my 3rd attempt at locating one. 3rd times a charm, because this bad boy is 2.6 turns lock to lock. I've got my old rack all unbolted and ready to come out, just need a second hand to help wiggle it out. Wiggle the new sweetness in and the front is pretty much wrapped up. I also installed the 1 1/16 master cylinder. Plug and play, 5 min job.

I need new parking brake cables, because the G35 coupe cables DEF. DO NOT WORK. Those should be in tomorrow. I won't have time until Friday afternoon to hit up the install. I've got the whole parking brake deal figured out and swapping it all in should be pretty straight forward. With any luck I'm hoping to have it running by Sunday. I'm dieing to drive this thing!

Pix:

The brakes in all their glory!

HICAS Hotness

More pix @ www.bumnah.com/brakes

Last edited by Bumnah; 10-17-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Man, thats a pretty intense photograph.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumnah
The brakes in all their glory!

[/url]
Something about the way you took this pic screams HOTNESS! Lookin good so far bro!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice setup!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM

So. I'm finally done. Been done for about 2 weeks. I've been fighting 2 pain in the *** issues.

Issue #1:
Leaking power steering fluid near the pump. Solution, get new crush washers and tighten it down extremely tight. It seems to have worked. I believe I was just a hair too loose and it would leak. Glad it's finally fixed.

Issue #2:
Spongy brake pedal. Trapped air in the lines obviously. After hours of bleeding the problem was found, and I feel silly for not even noticing. The front passenger side caliper was the front driver side caliper. The bleeder screw was on the bottom, instead of the top. Air was trapped in that caliper. So I unbolted it, and mount it right side up to bleed it. Once bled I remounted the caliper, and everything is good. I still have the slightest bit of air left, but I'm not stressing it. I opened the bleeder screw so often in the last week, I was afraid I may strip one. Either way the brakes are on and working with a rock solid pedal feel. I'll bleed the rest of the system out later.

Final thoughts: The brakes look great! The car looks great, the z rims look awesome on the s13. Sits off road right now since I still have stock suspension. I don't care, the car grips much better and stops much better. I'm very happy with them, and I've only bedded the pads in. Hopefully I can get on the brakes some tomorrow. Today was just fixing minor issues and alignment. The people who mounted the tires didn't do a good job so I got some shaking in the steering wheel when I got above 60 mph. I had them re balance the tires, and the problem seems to have gone away. I got an alignment since my toe was off the wall with the steering rack swap. Alignment is within' spec now, but the steering wheel is not sitting straight. I'm going to go back tomorrow and ask for my money back or they do the job properly.

I was so fed up with the brakes I took it to a shop, and they showed me the caliper issue. Those were the only competent people I've met. The people I had mount the balance couldn't do it right the first time, so I had to go back. Then the people couldn't center the steering wheel at the alignment place. Just annoying. It's the first time in 10 years I've take a project car in for some work, and I'm greeted with the incompetence of the modern mechanic.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

yeah thats about how it is..the first (and only) time i ever took mine in it came out with more problems then it had