Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Rear Lower Tie Bar Install Question

Old 06-20-2006, 09:59 PM

Rear Lower Tie Bar Install Question

Hi all, I'm preparing to install a rear lower tie bar on my 95 240 and want to know if I need to jack the car up to do so. I'm attaching a pic,<br>

<br>
I'm assuming the tie bar attaches to these bolts circled in red, but I don't know enough about my cars suspension to be sure what'll happen when I loosen them. I figure I'd better ask, better that than risk getting squashed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much.

-Ryder
Old 06-21-2006, 07:11 PM

I am also not 100% sure from the pictures, but those bolts appear to be your tie rod bolts. Attempt to loosen them, and you will surely screw up your rear toe alignment, which can lead to the car becoming EXTREMELY unstable.

I just put RUCAS on, and before alignment, I was slightly TOE OUT in the back, and the car flew all over the road, very scary.

If you look at that bolt, and it has the "head" of the bolt sitting OFF CENTER on a flat disc, then those are definitely the toe rod bolts, DON'T touch them if you don't know alot about suspension.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:31 PM

lol this is too funny. i was just wondering the same thing. then a buddy of mine came by and slapped it on for me. lol. yea it does go there.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:23 AM

So then was I wrong, are those not the toe rod bolts?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:04 PM

cool, thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Ummm, you can change them, then right after get a good alignment.

When loosening start with the nut other wise you will cut a grove into the bolt from the from the accentric ring.

WHEN DOING ANY SUSPENSION WORK ON YOUR CAR ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS ON A LEVEL SURFACE.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Rear Lower Tie Bar Install Question

Originally posted by ryderg
Hi all, I'm preparing to install a rear lower tie bar on my 95 240 and want to know if I need to jack the car up to do so. I'm attaching a pic,<br>

<br>
I'm assuming the tie bar attaches to these bolts circled in red, but I don't know enough about my cars suspension to be sure what'll happen when I loosen them. I figure I'd better ask, better that than risk getting squashed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much.

-Ryder
That's where you install the bar..at least on a S13 that's the spot.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jspaeth
I am also not 100% sure from the pictures, but those bolts appear to be your tie rod bolts. Attempt to loosen them, and you will surely screw up your rear toe alignment, which can lead to the car becoming EXTREMELY unstable.

I just put RUCAS on, and before alignment, I was slightly TOE OUT in the back, and the car flew all over the road, very scary.

If you look at that bolt, and it has the "head" of the bolt sitting OFF CENTER on a flat disc, then those are definitely the toe rod bolts, DON'T touch them if you don't know alot about suspension.
Nearly a year after putting that bar on...HOLY CRAP!!! I put that thing on before I knew anything about suspension so at the moment I had no idea that it would throw off my rear toe alignment. Thanks for the wake me up dude!

Last edited by positron; 10-19-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jspaeth

Nearly a year after putting that bar on...HOLY CRAP!!! I put that thing on before I knew anything about suspension so at the moment I had no idea that it throw off my rear toe alignment. Thanks for the wake me up dude!