Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 11:44 PM

Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors

What is better for stopping power slotted, cross drilled, or slotted and cross drilled rotors? And why is that one the best?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member

You'll get the shortest distance from blank rotors, though they will fade quickly they should in theory stop in the shortest distance. If you want reduced brake fade then IMO get slotted because it will be more durable than cross drilled. If you want the light rotors you can get, short of carbon fiber, get both cross drilled and slotted. Someone may say I'm wrong though.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:04 AM

I am not a brake genius, but I think they should all provide the same initial stopping power, but slotted and drilled rotors provide better fade resistence because they disipate heat better, and they vent gases that build up. So if you were racing or doing hard driving and your brakes were heating up, then slotted or drilled is the way to go, but I dont know which of those two is better.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:11 AM

Hmmm!??? Seems all the replies are on the correct tract..
Stock tool faced rotors will heatup as stated.Well, no REAL need to say, we all drive/drove on them!
Yet, they WILL not stop you shorter than Slotted OR Cross Drilled will, with proper setup.
As brought up in flstseminolejd post, the Gas buildup is one big reason behind Fade and distance of stop.
The Slotted rotors will take care of this, which means better stopping and less heat.
The Cross Drilled will ALSO do the same and be lighter(less rotational mass) and Just as durable.(Quality is THE KEY to everything).
YET, with CD rotors, due to the surface contact area reduction, a BETTER quality pad, such as Carbon Metallic will greatly improve the braking operation.
Just some INFO
Old 06-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

You lose some friction surface with cross drilling and slotting. So as long as you don't overheat to the point of fade, and with the same brake pads, a blank rotor should stop better.

-Justin
Old 06-16-2003, 02:52 PM

Alright thanks a lot for the help