Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Slotted and/or Cross Drilled Rotors Create Fade?

Old 08-04-2003, 06:10 PM

Slotted and/or Cross Drilled Rotors Create Fade?

...i heard this somewhere, i don't specifically remember where. i apologize if this might sound like s stupid question to some but...

what does it mean by fade?

..i've been trying to come up with a set-up that suits me. i'm still a beginner drifter..i'm still in the process of getting a proper one down, i have landed a few though.

well now that you know what i'll be doing with my car (drifting), would i really need slotted or corss drilled rotors?

i was just thinking about some Brembo Replacments, with z32 calipers. is that a good enough set up for a beginner?
Old 08-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Slotted and cross drilled rotors REDUCE fade, though crossdrilling usually results in cracked rotors so they're mostly made to just save weight. Oh yeah fade is when the brakes create too much heat and braking power is reduced, thus slotting and cross drilling vents gasses from the pads and reduces the heat.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:54 PM

Which do you recommend for more of a daily driver/weekend warrior kind of car? I also dont really have $1000 to spend on a Z32 conversion..will braided lines, pads and rotors all around be sufficient? I know the calipers are the money parts.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

A good set of pads, slotted rotors and lines should be fine for you or if you could find JDM brakes I hear they're a nice upgrade for cheaper than a Z32.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
A good set of pads, slotted rotors and lines should be fine for you or if you could find JDM brakes I hear they're a nice upgrade for cheaper than a Z32.
ditto

if you're just starting out and don't wanna drop lotsa dough, just get some good pads and be sure that ur stock rotors are in good shape (i.e. not warped, too thin, damaged).

by the way, IWS, luvin the sig!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
by the way, IWS, luvin the sig!

I like yours too.

Last edited by I'm with Stupid; 08-05-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid

I like yours too.
thanx bro!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

This might be coming from left field and maybe one person will agree with me but here we go.

If you are a beginner I would work with what you have. Get a good set of pads and stock solid rotors. Brembo blanks are great.

Take your extra money and get yourself two more sets of tires. Get at least three sets in total.

Or get a set of Azenis sports (or other sticky compound) for your fronts and work with 4 rims for the rear all with **** tires. That would make 6 rims. Then have a set to get home or drive to work with.

I know the brake upgrade is tempting but have you actually fadded your stock brakes?

I have a bunch of rims and burn thru at least 4 tires in one day.

My advice is tires & wheels, seat time and get to a local legal drift event or auto cross.

Parts can be really bad. They can be a crutch. They can make you learn slower.

Or I can be spewing bull****.

Good luck.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

That's good advice.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:54 PM

if you decide to go with brakes first off dont go cheap on the brake fluid. get a high quality, high temperature fluid like motul. all of the heat that your pads and rotors generate gets absorbed by the fluid. overly hot fluid, or fluid thats not ment for high performance driving, helps contribute to the spongy feel of faded brakes.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by powerhungry
if you decide to go with brakes first off dont go cheap on the brake fluid. get a high quality, high temperature fluid like motul. all of the heat that your pads and rotors generate gets absorbed by the fluid. overly hot fluid, or fluid thats not ment for high performance driving, helps contribute to the spongy feel of faded brakes.
Good point. Here is another one:

I had my rear calipers lock on me when competing two states away from home. I bled them at the hotel and found RUST coming out of the lines.

If you are going to change your fluid buy a canister not a little container. Get a friend and vacuum bleed the **** out of your lines until the fluid is clean and clear.

Fouled fluid can lead to spongy feel.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

all good words of wisdom...
Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
all good words of wisdom...
Maybe if I get better at driving I will be able to spout some more convincing bull****.