Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

suspension upgrades ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Exclamation suspension upgrades ?

so im going to be getting coilovers soon, and i since im upgrading that i wanted to all out and upgrade the rest of my suspension aswell, what would be some things that i should consider over others? i will lower the car pretty darn low and i dont want any issues after doing that, another question i have is does it really matter what brand u get for lets say your control arms, rucas, etc or doesn't it ?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Adjustable camber arms for the rear. Also replace bushings all around. Make sure all other parts of your suspension are in good shape because putting coils on your car puts more stress on other parts. Tie-rods, ball-joints... ect.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 PM

so what is the difference between the rear upper control arms that are like a full circle and the ones that are like half a cirlce, if u get what im saying
Old 06-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

No difference other than ease of install...you'll have to remove one end of the struts to get the full circles on when you can just put the half circle arms on without doing so....they do look cooler though!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rockaa91
so what is the difference between the rear upper control arms that are like a full circle and the ones that are like half a cirlce, if u get what im saying
structural integrity.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 PM

but isnt there standards in the US of how parts are made, even if they are imported if they dont meet the standards they wouldnt be allowed in the us, so shouldnt both technincally be the pretty much the same
Old 06-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

i take it you've never owned a ford.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 AM

so im going to be getting coilovers soon, and i since im upgrading that i wanted to all out and upgrade the rest of my suspension aswell, what would be some things that i should consider over others? i will lower the car pretty darn low and i dont want any issues after doing that, another question i have is does it really matter what brand u get for lets say your control arms, rucas, etc or doesn't it ?
What is the purpose of the car? dd? track? autox? drift? Depending on what you are doing with the car greatly affects how you want to modify the suspension.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

S13 are a full circle and S14 are half circle from the factory.

Since they upgraded the suspension in the S14 from the S13, it is prob safe to say that those half circle ones are strong enough.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM

the purpose of the car is to be my toy, basically, mess around with on the street, ocaisonally on the track, maybe some auto x, and drifting, but not enough to make it regular maybe like once in 3 months or something like that, nothing major.

and thanks for the input smoke
Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 AM

but isnt there standards in the US of how parts are made, even if they are imported if they dont meet the standards they wouldnt be allowed in the us, so shouldnt both technincally be the pretty much the same
Most these aftermarket parts were intended for off road use only....this being said, I'm not sure if they were tested by the DOT or any other body for safe street use.

As for the suspension parts, If your doing coils and are going to be on the ground, THe things i'd suggest would be:

RUCAs
Rear toe rods
upgraded front inner tie rods with adjustable outers for bumpsteer adjustment(spl)
Front and rear upgraded balljaoint (Megans are ok but the best would be the MOONFACE units)

Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 AM

thanks ugt that answers some stuff, but im on a budget and i cant afford the really expensive parts, but one day i will , for now im just gonna get coilovers and the megan ruca, to adjust my camber because it will need adjustment due to the drop, as for the inner tie rods, is this absolutely necessary or is it one of those needs that needs to be taken care of, but can wait a while
Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 AM
Contributing Member

megan is not bad..... if you are going for modest build, they will be fine.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 AM

for my broke *** modest is all i got haha
Old 06-17-2009, 05:40 AM

the purpose of the car is to be my toy, basically, mess around with on the street, ocaisonally on the track, maybe some auto x, and drifting, but not enough to make it regular maybe like once in 3 months or something like that, nothing major.

and thanks for the input smoke
If you are going to be track racing and autox'n at all then front and rear sway bars and a set of decent shocks/springs (I recommend the GC coiloverkit with koni yellows for a budget) will go a long way

Quick Reply: suspension upgrades ?