Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

sway bar wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 PM

sway bar wtf?

So my car has this problem, it squeeks sometimes when i go over speed bumps, but it always makes a clunking sound whenever i go over any speed bumps and also makes a clunking sound when i apply the brakes. tonight i went to isolate the problem, i assumed it was the control arms, so i had purchased two new front control arms, one for each side. i took the control arm off, and the bushing was good, the ball joint didnt appear messed up, no vertical play at all. so i took off the sway bar and drove my car over some speed bumps and sure enough, no clunking sound and i noticed right away there was no clunking sound when i applied the brakes. hmm indeed. i'm going to leave the sway bar off until i inspect the problem further. i'm thinking that:
a) the bushings are pretty bad
b) it was in a front end accident on the side it clunks from, so the tension bar may be bent and they never replaced it, which would cause it to hit the sway bar...
c) the tension bar bushings are bad, causing it to hit the sway bar, creating the clunking sound.