Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Uneven braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Uneven braking

hey guys,

I just installed new rear brake pads on my S14. Initially right after installation, my parking brake was really loose (meaning lots of slack, took less effort to pull than before). But after driving the car around a bit and breaking in the new pads, the parking brake now seems to be working correctly as before. However, I've noticed that the piston in the left rear caliper doesn't seem to be releasing all the way... after getting off the highway you could smell the pad burning a bit on the left rear, but nothing from the right rear. I did not bleed the system at all when installing the pads so it shouldn't a problem with air in the lines, right? so maybe it's just the left rear caliper not functioning correctly? or should I try driving the car around a bit more to brake in the pads some more? whaddaya guyz think?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

You might have to turn the calipers piston back into the caliper some. They rotate like if they were threaded as the pads wear, and sometimes they will hang up if not turned back in.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

hmm... that sounds like a good idea. I did have to rotate them a bit to put the caliper back and around the pads. But if I take it apart again to rotate it back, how should go about putting it all back together if the piston doesn't clear the pad? I tried using this brake-piston-pushing tool that my dad had lying around, but it wasn't working too well... i think imma try driving around a bit more for a couple days to see if the problem persists.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

ok, wtf... I get off the highway today, driving about half a mile home and this car cuts across in front of me. So I slam on the brakes but not hard enough to lose traction, slow down enuff and go around him. But then as I pull up to the next intersection and stop, smoke is coming from my RIGHT rear caliper now. Imma try to bleed the system tommorrow... once again any suggestions guys?