Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Aem Ems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 PM
pch

Aem Ems

Looking into buying AEM EMS from my local tuner installed with the sensors and tuned for around $2500-3k. I am buying a 240 this weekend with these mods:

SR20det Red Top

Greddy RAS

Innovative Wideband O2 sensor

Emanage Ultimate

Garret 60-1 T3 Turbo

Greddy Type-S boost controller

Full-Race manifold and DP

Greddy N1 3" exhaust

Greddy Knockoff intake

HKS Air filter

Fuel Pressure regulator (adjustable)

Z32 MAF

850 CC injectors

Greddy Rocker Arm Stoppers

Generic Front Mount Setup

Greddy BOV Type RS (not recirculated)

Apex'i N1 Exhaust

The guy is using emage ultimate to tune the car. Last tune they but down around 330 horse power , dont know the torque because it wasnt disclose to me. The type of dyno the use is a dynapack. They achieved those numbers at 15 psi. My questions is, would it be worth buying the AEM EMS at this point in time, and if so...what else should I put on the car at this time. The first tune will be so I can pass emissions. Current owner failed Nox by .02. Plus it has some issues at low throttle position where the car starts to sputter...once you engage more on the throttle car is really good. Looking for some feedback..

Thanks,

Christian
Old 03-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

wow only 330 with aem.... i don't know the creditability of those dynos but thats mighty low.

330 can be gotten very easily with a cheaper means of tuning. I have only played with AEM a few times so i don't have enough knowledge to fully elaborate on it. it is however FULL control of the motor in all facets and pretty damn cool...

out of that setup, the injectors are the only thing that calls for higher tuning hardware/software
Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
pch

sorry....with emanage it was 330...i am want to buy aem but not sure if it is worth it at this time and just stick with what the car is coming with. basicly i am buying the car and have 3 grand to buy stuff and not sure on what to buy...car already comes with that stuff
Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

how much have you looked into EMS.... lots of guys tend to think going with system such as AEM for example will take all their problems away...... thats far from the truth if you don't know how to operate the system..

many people make their cars worst by going to full out high end EMs when there mods don't support how they are trying to tune etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:54 AM
pch

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
how much have you looked into EMS.... lots of guys tend to think going with system such as AEM for example will take all their problems away...... thats far from the truth if you don't know how to operate the system..

many people make their cars worst by going to full out high end EMs when there mods don't support how they are trying to tune etc.
To be completely honest I really havent looked into it. Tony at UMS Tuning has worked on this car before and he recommend it to me. Then I had been reading the articles in Modified Mag, and they have a 240sx with a sr20det and said that is one of the best things to do for a car that has mods and that you are going to continue modding. Brings everything into harmony. But at the same case, I have read and been told that the Power Fc from Apex'i does the same thing.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Yeaup with less money and confusion...

i mean if your not going for record hp number and record track times, its just a waste to have that just to drive to the local hardware store. you can get a great tune using JWT ecu's, bikirom, mega squirt, Safc, Power FC etc. they all have their pros and cons, but its all up to the end user... i don't want to scare you away from the system, im just all about doing it right without wasting money.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Alternatives to look at for the SR20DET are:

-HKS F/V Con
-Apex'i Power FC
-Apex'i Power FC D-Jetro
(This is an upgraded version that allows the user to remove the MAF sensor and install a Absolute Pressure sensor in the intake manifold itself)

The price ranges vary for each but, they all pretty much offer the same tunning parameters. I think AEM is probably the most expensive out of all of the standalone ECUs. As were you can find the Apex ECU between $700-1100.