Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

am i soposed to have a vacuume where ive installed my boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:29 AM

am i soposed to have a vacuume where ive installed my boost gauge

i have installed my boost gauge to the smaller top line on my throttle body. and it goes to my fuel pressure regulator. unfortunatly i have noticed that i only have vacuume pressure in that line. It would only make sense for me to have boost pressure in that line. Does anybody have an idea of why this might be happening ? Its as if i have no boost yet the car doesnt choke or anything it just revs a little hight at first

Thanx for ur help
frank
Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

floor it... your car is in vaccuum most of the time, while cruisin and such... or your gauge is messed up
Old 12-20-2005, 07:11 PM

arnt i sopposed to have 8or 9 psi at all times and when i put my foot on the gas its soposed to drop almost imidiatly even in nutral?

the gauge needle also moves slightly when i blow into it, thats why i thought it was ok

im just not sure if all this time that ive had my swap my turbo hasnt been working
thanks for ur help
frank
Old 12-20-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

yea.... you arent at constant boost... ever heard of turbo lag? your engine has to be putting out enough exhaust to spin the compressor and create boost
Old 12-20-2005, 08:14 PM

so if i rev the engine to about 5 or 6 grand the needle shuld move to 8 or 9 psi right?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:37 PM

depends one what your wastegate is set at. if you dont even have a turbo and your are running a boost gauge anyway i've seen a few people do that lol but anyways it will read negitive and when you stomp on it, it should read 0. I acually have a friend that did that on his N/A stealth.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:17 PM

i have the sr20 det with the stock intercooler and intake there is a vacuume line that goes from the top left line of the throttle body to the fuel pressure reg thats where i have the boost gauge connected. before i connected the boost gauge there this line teed off and went to the intercooler and from there it went to this "thing" on the ignitor chip plate which i have plugged because it used to be connected to the aiv pipe i also dont know how to check what my waste is set at, didnt know it was adjustable
if u see n e thing wrong with this set up please let me know thanx
frank
Old 12-20-2005, 09:23 PM

You should see boost after you hear your turbo spool. Ill look at where mine is installed and let you know tomarrow if someone hasent beat me to it.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:46 AM

if you are in neutral and rev to 5 or 6 k then no you will not see boost on your gauge.... shoudl go to 0 though. when your engnien is under load such as in gear and you mash the throttle you shoudl start to build boost till you hit your max.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:39 AM

oh ok i see how this works

what about that vacuume line that runs from my intercooler to my fuel pressure reg?and to the boost pressure solenoid?, do i leave that hooked up ? what is this line for? is it for the Recirculating or Atmospheric Blow Off Valve?
because as i just noticed the large right vacuume sorce is connected to my carbon canister as well as the bottom left vacuume line
and just out of curiousity is there any way that the recirculating or atmospheric blow off valve might be staying open because its broken or i dont have it hooked to the right vacuume sorce therfore not leting me build boost?
thanx for ur help guys
frank

below i have put the vacuume digram that i was given unfortunatly it doesnt tell me what to do with the vacuume line coming off the intercooler
thanx
http://club240.com/forums/showthread...threadid=26861[/URL]