Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

big nice happy question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 08:31 PM

big nice happy question

Don't know the proper forum, since this is forced induction I figured this would be right. WHY DOESN'T ANYONE TRY TO SUPERCHARGE!?!?!?!?? Plesae let me know
Old 02-15-2004, 08:35 PM

I have never seen a mass produced supercharger for a KA24 or a sr20. You could probably have one build for either motor, but why bother when, 1. sr20 has a turbo, and 2. Having a custom supercharger built for any motor isnt cheap. I'm guessing no one does it because there probably wouldnt be much of a market for one with the availiblity of a turbo engines for 240s, and the turbo potential of the KA24.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:39 PM

but turbos are much worse for the motor, and don't have a linear boost curve like a supercharger
Old 02-15-2004, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

Because there arent any superchargers out there. I believe there was a company that was making one...but havent heard from them lately.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by adavib
but turbos are much worse for the motor
Please explain yourself..........
Old 02-16-2004, 10:09 AM

turbos are worse for your motor because they force extremely hot exhaust air into the motor, as where superchargers run of the crank pulley and force normal outside air in at a constant boost whereas the turbos only kick in starting at about 3000 rpms or so, everyone is different. This is my opinion on it, it may differ from others but I personally would buy a supercharger over a turbo.

RIPP modifications has just emailed me back saying that if they get enough demand for a supercharger they will possibly make it. If you would be interested please post.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Because there arent any superchargers out there. I believe there was a company that was making one...but havent heard from them lately.
I know that, but what i am asking is, why doesn't someone make it! With like a rivera supercharger and fabricate the pipes and the pulley? Replace the clutch fan with electric and possibly an alluminum radiator, and you are pretty much set, an aftercooler would be nice but not necessary.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:16 AM

hell i just thoguht of something! Nissan supercharged the Xterra not too long ago. I know that was on the 6cyl motor but they also put the KA in the Xterra's so if you think about it, the supercharger should fit pretty close, not as much fabricating on the pulleys and what not. Should be a good length, just make sure it has a nice boost on it and if someone gives me some money i will try it
Old 02-16-2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by adavib
turbos are worse for your motor because they force extremely hot exhaust air into the motor.
ummmm... no. a turbo uses exhaust gases to spin a turbine which in turn spins a compressor to compress clean intake air and force that into the engine. the exhaust gases just, well, go back into the exhaust pipe and out.

a supercharger just uses a belt to do the same job as the exhaust gases do on a turbo: spin a compressor. its more linear because it is direct drive.

correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

and I think a supercharger takes power to make power, right? since it drives off a belt from the engine...

JR
Old 02-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Adavib, please refrain from double or triple posting. Just go back and edit your previous post.

As for the SC and Turbo agruement, that can go on forever. Which ever floats your boat, personally for a 240sx Id rather go Turbo, I wouldnt want to go threw custom fabing a SC when there are so many turbo kits and engine swaps out there.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by twofortyessex
ummmm... no. a turbo uses exhaust gases to spin a turbine which in turn spins a compressor to compress clean intake air and force that into the engine. the exhaust gases just, well, go back into the exhaust pipe and out.

a supercharger just uses a belt to do the same job as the exhaust gases do on a turbo: spin a compressor. its more linear because it is direct drive.

correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...

and I think a supercharger takes power to make power, right? since it drives off a belt from the engine...

JR
Exactly....and most of the intake air charge heat that may be generated from the exhaust side of the turbo is usually expelled by an intercooler as well.

On the other hand, I think it could still be worthwhile for a performance company to develop a supercharging kit for the KA24 series motor. I really love turbochargers and superchargers both in their own little ways!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

not to mention (correct me if i'm wrong here), but compressing air in and of itself heats the air as well (via either method). hence, the function of an intercooler.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
not to mention (correct me if i'm wrong here), but compressing air in and of itself heats the air as well (via either method). hence, the function of an intercooler.
True true...forgot that tidbit!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:58 AM

I am stupid, but besides that I have no brain, I still think it would be a good idea. I know there is less piping involved but of course you have to worry about the belts and what not. The turbo set up is just large and expensive, lots of pipes and so many ways to go wrong. Just personal perference i guess, and how much you really like to tinker with stuff.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:19 PM

if you want to see one, just mock it up yourself!!!

Quick Reply: big nice happy question