Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

ecu program choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM

ecu program choice

i think i decided to go with a jim wolf set up. i just called for the prices....... ecu program = $595(includes, gov is removed, rev limiter gone, and programed for premium fuel), and is programed for all these things. cobra maf with adaptor = $325, msd 72lb injectors= $400, fuel rail for top feed injectors = $225, and injector adaptors = $12. its good for 600hp. they also have the 50lb injectors and ecu program for them(350hp), but there is no change in price. this is a plug in and go. no tuning. total of $1557......

now the set up i was going to do was the safc = $300, and 50lb injectors = $400, cobra maf = $325 total of $1025...... and then there is the time for tuning witch costs money, and more time to install witch cost even more money(if you dont install it yourself) i think that it would cost close to the same after install time, and the jwt would be a lot better then the safc set up.

what are some of your opinions, to make sure im making the right choice? or is there something better out there that would run about the same price or cheaper?

jwt sells side feed injectors but they were almost $200 a pop, and they would only go to 72lb injectors(wouldnt want anymore than that anyway) but they sell the upgraded fuel rail that uses the top feed injectors ($225) and would fit all the way up to 92lb injectors, but you also need the adaptors (only $4 a pop) and the injectors are only a $100 each. its cheaper that way

Last edited by nick3; 12-06-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

1. Do it yourself... paying someone to install injectors is ridiculous
2. You can run a safc to control everything, i personally dont like that idea, but its up to you.
3. The choice is up to you, if there really is no price diff, then get the ecu an that 600hp setup, buy a boost controller and the safc (buy that no matter what you do) and tune it down if your car/engine isnt ready for the power yet
4. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd
Old 12-06-2005, 09:10 PM

im going to put everything i listed in myself. i just have to pay for the turbo kit to be installed. and then after i get it home(very carfully), i will install all the jwt things. i rebuilt and bored the bottom end with forged parts, and everything else on the hole engine is new, with p&p, and plan on stregthening the top, if you read the (down pipe help) thread that i recently had, you will know what i have done, but i wont have 600hp, more like 450hp. but if i went with the safc 2 i would have to have the performance shop put them in, because i wouldnt be able to drive it to the shop with them in and have it tuned. is this right or wrong? what kind of boost controler do you recommend? and the guy i talked to at jwt said i dont need any fine tuning, that it would be ok if i was pushing 450hp and had the 600hp limit set up. thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

well, your dont NEED fine tuning, but its all the more power you can get out of your car... the safc will do nothing until it is programed, make sure you initialize it to clear any setting (if its used) so driving to the shop or anywhere will be fine. The reason i suggest the safc tuning is beacuse the jwt ecus and all ecus and usually close to base maps, fine tuning always helps. And the wiring is not hard at all... i can get you all the diagrams and sh*t you'll need
Old 12-07-2005, 09:35 AM

FYI Enthapy tuned ecu's are way better than jwt.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:43 PM

i wouldnt get a used one, i dont like to buy used electronics. ive had to many bad experiences. the diagrams you get from there site, right? so your saying that the safc 2 would be better than a progamed ecu and thats all i need to use. is there any down side to useing it? the part i was talking about is the injectors i could not install untill i got to the performance shop. i wouldnt be able to run 72lb injectors in my car to the performance shop without the ecu being tuned. so they would have to put them in. i wouldnt want to spend that money on somthing easy to do. and i will do some research on the fyi enthapy ecu. and also what about a manual boost controler with a boost gauge. would that be ok. and if not, can you point me in the right direction for one. i want to do this project the right way. i put to much money in this engine to blow it up. thanks

Last edited by nick3; 12-07-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

im saying that I would have both... thats just a personal thing though. You can tune for the larger injectors and sh*t with a safc 2 without problems (thats what the person above you did) I dont know what to tell you about driving without the new injectors, you'll be fine with the stockers for the trip there, but i wouldnt boost if you dont have to. Ogee is right though enthapy does have some nice setups. Dont get your mind stuck on one thing. i know you want to get it done asap, but its smarter to take your time and not 'blow it up' A manual and boost gauge would work fine too, just not as much control. There are plently of good boost controllers, i like the profec b 2 and the apexi model

what compression do you have with that engine btw?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:05 PM

when i did the engine rebuild, i told them to give me a cr of 9.0. and bored to a 89.5 with cp forged pistons, crower rods, arp bolts, new p&p head(and everything new in it), multi layer cometic head gasket, new timing kit, new oil pump, new vacuum lines, all engine parts balanced, clutch master 6 puck clutch, walbro 255 fuel pump, other upgrades are fidnanza flywheel, msd ignition system, nology hot wires, racing pulleys, high flow cat, dnx exhaust, cold air intake, 75 shot eletronic nx stage 2 nitrous kit (i have it every gear). and things i cant keep anymore are venom injectors, obx headers, and venom 400 module. i called up the performance shop and they are going to sell me a manual boost controler, i can control from inside the car, and install it for free. im leaning towards the safc 2 now. because i can always get an ecu upgrade some time later when i get use to the system i have. and use the safc 2 for the fine tuning, like you said. so the safc 2 will control the cobra maf, right? because i still plan on getting that from jwt because it comes with an adapter. i dont want to cut any wires.

Last edited by nick3; 12-07-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

^that sounds like a good plan... and a very nice setup too. I *think* the cobra maf should work fine, you'll have to change the settings on the safc to program for it (under sensor type, stock sr is 05 in, 05 out) ask jwt, or search zilvia for that. Also, be careful with the nitrous, thats a great setup and should handle it fine, but make sure its tuned first, and dont go paul-walker-nawz-happy
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 PM

i would like to keep my manifold intacked, can you post the specs on the safc 2 for me? it wont come up on the the site for some reason. thanks for the help.. im talking to a guy right now about a 300zxtt maf, is there a certian year i need to work for a 91? or will they all work?

Last edited by nick3; 12-07-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM

Enthalpy tuned ecu OWNS jwt tuned ecu
Old 12-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

http://store.evostore.com/apexisafc2.html
Old 12-08-2005, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by doriftomodachi
Enthalpy tuned ecu OWNS jwt tuned ecu
+1

And i'm all for having a Tuned ECU and a SAFC to fine tune......
Old 12-08-2005, 02:50 PM

You have to reprogram the Ecu if you put a cobra MAF on your car. you cant just program it in the afc. also depending on how big of injectors you put in, the afc cant handle much more than 550cc injectors so take that into account. i think you could find a z32 maf on ebay for pretty cheap, then get a Enthapy ecu and afc to do fine adjustments.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM

ive seen some people on this site run a z32 maf with just a safc 2. im looking on ebay for one. do i need a certain year z32 maf to work for my 91 ka?

Quick Reply: ecu program choice