Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

nitrous on sr20det

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM

there was a guy on DSMTuners.com that made his own sprayer out of co2......worked like a charm.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:07 PM

yeah i am in the prcess or rigging my wind shield washer sprayers into 4 misters for the fmic and i am gonna have squirt 50% water and 50% alchohol on the fmic, then i am blast it with co2. it should keep everything nice and cold.

but i think i am going to do some work to the head instead of going to nitrous.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Re: nitrous on sr20det

Originally posted by cutter
some engines react differently to spray , well i am about to do the sr20det into a 240sx. i was planning on spraying a 55 shot. does anyone else spray on thier sr? is there any real danger to the motor with such a small shot?
I totally missed this detail: I used to run 100 shot, stock internals, on my previous car (200SX SE-R), and it was an SR NONTURBO so it can handle it.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:56 AM

i read somewhere that they put a bag on ice on a wrx tmic and droped a whole second of the 1/4 mile. and co2 and n2o is a whole lot colder than a bag of ice...

water spray for intercooler. i would do something like this if i had an intercooler to spray it on...
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0527
Old 04-06-2004, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by hitokiri_808
i read somewhere that they put a bag on ice on a wrx tmic and droped a whole second of the 1/4 mile. and co2 and n2o is a whole lot colder than a bag of ice...

water spray for intercooler. i would do something like this if i had an intercooler to spray it on...
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0527
Hell yeah.. the ghetto ice trick actually does work (but your engine bay gets soaked if something pops a hole in the bag)
Old 04-14-2004, 10:10 AM

nitrous is stupid. turn up the boost or get a bigger turbo. on a turbo car a 50 shot is jack **** compared to what you can do with untapped boosting potential. stay of spray
Old 04-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by chriswgsx
nitrous is stupid. turn up the boost or get a bigger turbo. on a turbo car a 50 shot is jack **** compared to what you can do with untapped boosting potential. stay of spray
Even a 50 shot of nitrous can make up for some of the massive turbo lag that your "bigger turbo" would produce off the line in a drag racing situation. "Turning up the boost" too early might cause excess wheelspin etc. etc.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:01 PM

I'm a firm believer that with proper tuning on a turbo car you don't need nitrous. If you build your car the right way, crank up the boost if you have to. But why? Drag racing in a 240 makes just as much sense as my dad after a night of drinking. The difference, you can't lose when your drunk.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Romeyo07
I'm a firm believer that with proper tuning on a turbo car you don't need nitrous. If you build your car the right way, crank up the boost if you have to. But why? Drag racing in a 240 makes just as much sense as my dad after a night of drinking. The difference, you can't lose when your drunk.
I agree somewhat - don't get me wrong - but I also believe in the "there's no one-size-fits-all", i.e. there are a lot of draggers who drop excessively huge turbos into their car in the interest of making gobs of power on the high end, at the expense of low end torque (no matter how you tune a huge turbo, the turbo impeller still weighs the same and will still take a certain amount of time to spool up). Sure you can tune the huge turbos to kick-in fast enough to negate the requirement of nitrous, but what about the power curve of the motor? Then again I guess that's what EVC's are for
Old 04-15-2004, 10:05 PM

a 30-50 (more if you like) dry shot of nitrous can be used to help cool the intake air. adding nitrous on a well tuned engine would make more power, than it did without. or you could use the nitrous to just cool the intercooler to make power. nitrous has its uses, more than just f&f and bling effect. (even though thats whats its mostly for...)

but personaly i wouldn't use nitrous on a turbo car. not worth the cost for just a small 30-50 dry shot. and if you want to do it right on a turbo it should be direct port and thats costly. i would use that money and buy a near laggless garrett gt28rs. (and a bag of ice in a grabage bag to throw on the ic)
Old 04-16-2004, 11:03 AM

maybe its just me, and I've been raised around gear heads who oppose the bottle. All motor 12 sec. SOHC Hondas (yes, I did not stutter) who are completely off the bottle. Rediculous chevelles and mustangs with no juice. I guess it just doesn't seem natural to "spray". Build a motor, make it work, go fast. I don't want to "refill" my power adder.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:38 AM

nitrous is marketed as a "cheap" power adder, but it costs a lot to refill. after you get addicted and use it a lot, it would be cheaper to just get a turbo/supercharger and have the power all the time.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 PM

get addicted to boost.....
Old 04-20-2004, 03:11 PM

the only way I'd ever go with nitrous is if I had a huge *** turbo so I could spool it up quicker, and to spray on the IC to keep it cool with that huge turbo.

neither of which I ever plan on having. most intercoolers will more than cool a *normal* turbo and I want a car thats streetable. so huge turbos and nitrous just dont interest me. at all.

haha, another funny thing, like back in october or november when my brother got rainbow six 3 for xbox, I needed a character name... so I made up 'romeo_7'

which is funny cause I wasnt even registered on here yet... and you've got the romeyo07.

weird
Old 04-21-2004, 08:39 PM

nitrous is for cheaters! just because your car is fast with nitrous doens't mean that your car is actually fast. it just means that you threw a bottle of some flammable-*** **** in your trunk and are spraying it into the engine. i don't really see the point, except to spool a large turbo, like people were saying earlier. with a motor like the sr20 or the rb series, nitrous is really the last thing i would be thinking about. wouldn't you rather have a reliable car that is fast all the time, not just when your bottle is full? just seems like a waste of $ in my opinion...

Quick Reply: nitrous on sr20det