Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Some questions about my Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 03:15 AM

Some questions about my Turbo

I'm not really too educated on much in the way of turbos, but I guess I'll give it a go, so dont flame my *** yet. My friend just got a turbo out of an early 90s Audi Quattro and now i've got it. The turbo is a Garrett BCM0003, looks almost brand new and is in perfect condition. I haven't heard anything about these and searched for it online and couldn't come up w/ anything. It looks to be a pretty reasonable turbo, but don't know what sort of power to expect from this thing.

I'm in the position to get this thing hooked up on my KA24E for reasonably cheap, but I'm kinda skeptical as to whether it would be a safe decision to throw this thing on my KA So I guess if anyone has any known way of figuring out the power of this thing (like if there is some way to test it or if you know of some web site that may say), and this may sound like a really stupid question, but again i'm not too educated on turbos except how they work, but in the center bearing section, there are the oil inlet and outlets, plus two flanges. I was wondering what these flanges go to, i understand all of the other inlets, outlets and vacuum connections, but these flanges have me confused, so I'm sure I sound like an idiot but could someone help me here?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:08 PM

Ok here you go, this is my knowledge on turbos that should eliminate most of your questions because I was in your position.
The set up for a turbo should go like this unless you have some messed up piece of crap that just shouldn't exsist to begin with. from the head out should go - manifold - turbo - downpipe (this is the exhaust part)
intake part goes;
filter - turbo - cooler - throttle body
The oil pipes are self-explanitory and you will have major labor trying to tap the oil pan. Have someone that is experinced do this!!! If you mess up and tap the wrong place you will need a new oil pan. But the turbo you have is probably like most turbos that come in factory cars that has a max boost of 9psi. The 300zx turbos are T3 and max at 9 which is what I am looking into buying. But if you think that you can get away with putting a turbo on for much less then a grand and it will work right think again. I got my cooler and all the proper pipping and a waste gate for 1000. no labor is in that price. Make sure you have a wastegate on that bad boy too.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:53 AM

Well, i've got the BOV and turbo already, I can get all of the piping for free from one of the members of my team and the intercooler will just be a mandatory expense. Its already got an external wastegate so it sould be fine. As for the oil leads, I'm sure I could get a shop here in town to do that for pretty cheap, that and the intercooler shouldn't cost too much right?

Anyway, this still doesn't answer my question as to whether it is really safe to just stick on a random turbo. If anyone has any way to determine what kind of power to expect from this thing then please help.

Or should I just throw this thing on and see what happens?

Last edited by Twisted 240sx; 06-19-2003 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:22 AM

Like I said most factory turbos that you pull from a random car will boost at the max of 9psi which should be safe to run on the 240 with a little bit of fuel work like the regulator a pump and you might get by with the stock rail and injectors but watch the gauge (air/fuel) and make sure that is does not go lean, so you can keep you engine.