Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

New guy with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 05:20 PM

New guy with some questions

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums here. I am looking into the 95-98 240 sx for a new project. I definitly want to swap out the n/a enigne for either an sr20DET or an RB25DET. What would you recommend engine wise for the most reliable internals? The s13, s14, or s15 sr20? I've been told the s15 sr20 has better internals than the previous ones? Is this correct?

What I'm really looking to do is pick up a 240 with high miles for around $5k(i've seen several for this price range in my area). Spend $5-$6k in engine, and mods. I think I can swap out the engine with my friend. He has done swaps in a civic and integra. We are both pretty good with cars, but how hard and involved is the swap. If I go with an SR20 will everything pretty much go in without any custom mounts, or sub frame work?

I basically plan to get the engine in, mod it decently. Then convert the front end to an s15 and get the car repainted. After that I might upgrade the turbo, but thats down the road.

I've been checking out AfterDark Tuning and their prices seem very reasonable. If you look at their installation packages, you get alot for your money it seems.

My questions, what 1/4 mile times can I expect to run when dropping in a stock sr20DET? What about the RB25? What other parts would be needed besides the engine and transmission? Does the transmission come with the engine for the prices give on After Dark's website?

My last question. If I purchase a 240sx(95-98), is this all I will need to convert the front end to taht of a s15 silvia?

S14 => S15 Strawberry Face Conversion
Price Subject to Change

We will be offering S15 Silvia conversions for S14s, these will be complete,bolt on kits and all parts are 100% new. Our kits will include all parts needed for the install, included in this package are headlights with brackets and harness, fenders, hood, aftermarket bumper of your choice, and all other miscellaneous hardware such as latches, nuts, bolts and hinges.

Conversion Includes:
Nissan OEM Headlights
Headlight Harness
Headlight Brackets
West Yokohama Fenders
Aftermarket Bumper
Nissan OEM Hood
Nissan OEM Hood Hinges
Bumper/Fender Reinforcements
West Yokohama Signal Lenses

I'm sorry if any of my questions I've asked are easy to answer or seem stupid. I'm just very new to this area, and want a decently quick car for my daily driver.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:58 PM

If your seriously thinking of the RB25DET swap, Talk to NightXCZ77, as he seams to be the expert around here on these swaps. The internals of the RB25 are said to be good for up to 500hp or so, but again talk to Night to clear up anything else on this swap you might need to know. Sorry i couldnt help anymore.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Re: New guy with some questions

Originally posted by amill94
What would you recommend engine wise for the most reliable internals? The s13, s14, or s15 sr20? I've been told the s15 sr20 has better internals than the previous ones? Is this correct?
Internals are technically the same, except S14's and S15's had VTC.

If I go with an SR20 will everything pretty much go in without any custom mounts, or sub frame work?
It bolts in. Wiring needs to be custom though.

My questions, what 1/4 mile times can I expect to run when dropping in a stock sr20DET? What about the RB25?
Sr's run low 14's and RB25's should be low 13's or high 12's.

What other parts would be needed besides the engine and transmission? Does the transmission come with the engine for the prices give on After Dark's website?
Afterdark should give you what you need. Uncut harness, igniter, mafs, blah blah blah.

My last question. If I purchase a 240sx(95-98), is this all I will need to convert the front end to taht of a s15 silvia?

We will be offering S15 Silvia conversions for S14s, these will be complete,bolt on kits and all parts are 100% new. Our kits will include all parts needed for the install, included in this package are headlights with brackets and harness, fenders, hood, aftermarket bumper of your choice, and all other miscellaneous hardware such as latches, nuts, bolts and hinges.

Conversion Includes:
Nissan OEM Headlights
Headlight Harness
Headlight Brackets
West Yokohama Fenders
Aftermarket Bumper
Nissan OEM Hood
Nissan OEM Hood Hinges
Bumper/Fender Reinforcements
West Yokohama Signal Lenses
It says right in the decription it's all you need.

I'm sorry if any of my questions I've asked are easy to answer or seem stupid. I'm just very new to this area, and want a decently quick car for my daily driver.
If it's your daily driver do not get S15 headlights. They are not meant for driving on the right side of the road, and they shine light into any oncoming drivers eyes.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:31 PM

If it's your daily driver do not get S15 headlights. They are not meant for driving on the right side of the road, and they shine light into any oncoming drivers eyes.
Wow I didn't even think about that. Good point. I'm thinking about just going with the SR20. My question about whether an sr20det from an s13, 14, or 15 being stronger, I meant i had heard that the s15 had better forged internals. Is this true?

I think the rb25 is a little too pricey, but would kick *** to have in there. If I were to go with an sr20 what could the stock internals handle in terms of hp?

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

No, the S15's didn't have better internals. As far as the bottom end I believe they can take somewhere over 400hp.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:26 AM

Is that 400hp @ the flywheel, or are we talking 400rwhp?

What are a couple websites that offer better internals so I could check out the cost of going for 400+rwhp?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

RWHP...... A lot of companies make internals. Nismo, JUN, Tomei, TODA, HKS, APEX'i, Greddy/TRUST, Blitz, JE, Arias.... There's more, but I can't think of them right now.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:57 PM

WARNING: If you wanna do an S15 motor you're in for way more than an S13 or S14. First of all, they're more expensive. Second of all, you need the tranny AND THE DIFFERENTIAL from the S15 because the speedo gears are back there. Also, you're gonna have a hard time finding someone who can do the wiring for you on the S15 cuz it's hard as hell. Even Heavy Throttle is having problems with the S15 swap that they've been working on for months. However, the S15 does come with 480cc injectors (if you get a 6-speed) and 247 stock horses, so there are a few advantages. Take it from me, I'm in the middle of this swap right now, if you wanna get this done fast, don't do an S15. If you wanna be truly unique, go for it, that's what I'm doin. Then again, don't do an S15 swap, it's bad news!!! Haha, just playin, I'm tryin to keep my car rare but i'll be happy for anyone else that gets through it and I'll be glad to share any info that I've come upon in the process of my swap.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:01 PM

I'm new to the Nissan scene, but have been through plenty of nicely moded cars Anyway, would the S15 swap into an S14 chassis be made somewhat easier if an S14 tranny was used? Would this solve the tranny and drive shaft mounting issues? I'm sure wiring would still be concern, but just thought that the 5speed s14 tranny could eliminate a lot of hassel.

Oh... and I don't have a 240... yet I do have, however, $20k set aside for the project... just looking for an s14 good shape for as little as possible.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by genyosai
would the S15 swap into an S14 chassis be made somewhat easier if an S14 tranny was used? Would this solve the tranny and drive shaft mounting issues?
I don't think that would make anything easier except for the fact that you wouldn't need a custom tranny mount, but that's not that much work. In fact, I'm not even sure if a 5 speed tranny would bolt up to the S15 motor, so it might actually cause more problems.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Um... you don't need custom mounts for an S15 tranny to be put in an S14, and any 5 spd SR tranny bolts on to the S15 with no problem.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
Um... you don't need custom mounts for an S15 tranny to be put in an S14, and any 5 spd SR tranny bolts on to the S15 with no problem.
I'm pretty sure you do need custom mounts for an S15 tranny, since my 6 speed tranny just got put in. About the 5 speed tranny, for some reason I figured he was refering to the KA tranny.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by S15 Powered
About the 5 speed tranny, for some reason I figured he was refering to the KA tranny.
I'm sorry that I didn't clarify. I meant the S14 SR tranny onto an S15 SR motor. since I "think" that should solve the custom tranny mounts issue... what makes the S15 SR swap so much more difficult? Is it a change in OBD versions?

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by genyosai
I'm sorry that I didn't clarify. I meant the S14 SR tranny onto an S15 SR motor. since I "think" that should solve the custom tranny mounts issue... what makes the S15 SR swap so much more difficult? Is it a change in OBD versions?

Thanks,
You're right about the S14 tranny then, it would definitely solve the tranny mount problem, but like I said, it's really not that big a problem to begin with. To be honest with you, I don't know cars inside out like some of the guys on the forum, but being in the middle of this swap right now, the reason the S15 is different and more difficult is because first of all, you need the differential because the speedo gears are back there, and also there's something about the way the S15 is wired that makes it a nightmare. Also, info on the S15 is hard to find. You can easily get your hands on wiring diagrams for the S13 and S14, however the S15 repair manual exists only on CD-ROM and not in America. It's stuff like this that makes this swap a pain in the ***. But once again, by no means is it impossible so if you wanna be different and unique, go for it