Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

SSAUTOCHROME Turbo: Good Idea/Bad Idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 05:09 PM

SSAUTOCHROME Turbo: Good Idea/Bad Idea

Hello All,

My name is David Adams and I'm returning from a long . . .LONG . . . . .LOOOONG time over in Japan, I've seen pretty much all this car guy could take in so when the good ol Marine Corps offered to send me back to the states I jumped on it. Enough of the formalities, on to my question.

I recently had the pleasure/mis-pleasure of buying a turbo kit from SSAUTOCHROME. It came with the Turbocharger, manifold, BOV, WasteGate, flanges, gaskets and bolts. Now before I spend/waste my money on the downpipe, chargepipe, feedings and intercooler, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this company.

The reason that I am skeptical is because I have had a very trusted friend of mine tell me that he's heard some pretty bad things about this company.

I don't know much so that's why I'm asking for your help. I would really hate for my first week back in America to be a crappy one.

Thank you for your help,
Dave
Old 09-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Haven't really heard about their kits, but have heard about their manifolds. I've heard both good and bad, mostly good lately.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Haven't really heard about their kits, but have heard about their manifolds. I've heard both good and bad, mostly good lately.
Thank you for replying, do you think I should send the kit back, seeing as how I only spent 785 USD for the kit after shipping?

The only thing that worries me is the additional items I have to purchase, I would hate to purchase them and then have a manifold crack or have my turbine erupt all over my nice American SOHC KA motor.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

SOunds like your not willing to take the chance of it going bad on you, so send it back and get a refund.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
SOunds like your not willing to take the chance of it going bad on you, so send it back and get a refund.
Exactly, I would hate to waste anymore money than I already have. But, sir, herin lies the problem. I've attempted several times to contact this company on information on making a return of the turbo kit and they have yet to respond to my emails. Granted, I haven't tried telephoning them, but I would think a company who hasn't taken root yet would want to establish a well grounded (no pun intended) customer relationship reputation so that they may be noted for that, don't you think?
Old 09-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

If they aren't willing to take it back and refund your money, then your only other option is trying to sell it. BTW, call them...it's usually the best thing you can do. Unless you want to go through with keeping it and trying it out.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:25 PM

I WILL BUY IT ?

iF YOU CAN'T GET A HOLD OF THEM OR WANT TO JUST SELL IT LET ME KNOW...

DRIFTY240@YAHOO.COM
Old 09-29-2004, 07:33 PM

I have heard only bad things about ssautochrome. Also, if im not mistaken thats a ford t-bird turbo, although its new. Just read all the bad news on it from www.zilvia.net
Old 09-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

to answer your question... bad idea.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:20 PM

Well i purchased a header for a ford probe and my WRX, and had a hell of a time fitting it on right. It took me SIX hours to put the header on the probe, and thats not because i'm an idiot, or didn't have the right tools. The welds were also terrible, i would never trust anything from them to high pressure. I really had a bad experience with them, but i didn't exaggerate anything. so if it helps in any way, my advice is send it back... Quick!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:55 PM

i purchased one for a sr20det then traded it to a freind and it has been good to him so far. if you have any doubts i would just suggest to get rid of it.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:20 AM

Re: I WILL BUY IT ?

Originally posted by drifterswanted
iF YOU CAN'T GET A HOLD OF THEM OR WANT TO JUST SELL IT LET ME KNOW...

DRIFTY240@YAHOO.COM

If you want or you know anyone that wants it I'd be willing to work out a price.

I'm just going to say f*ck it, I'm getting an RB engine anyway. My boy Shin is owes me a favor anyway. I gave him my damn S13. LOL, the funny thing was, it was green too. But that was before I knew about the whole Initial D thing. LOL! Anyway, He could probably hook me up with a engine. I'm too number crazy to go for an SR20, I like the numbers on the displacement telemetry. :-D
Old 10-05-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by carofchoice
i purchased one for a sr20det then traded it to a freind and it has been good to him so far. if you have any doubts i would just suggest to get rid of it.

this is a earlier post i put up but since then things have changed and the manifold has a crack now.... go fugure!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:38 PM

ill buy it off u heh