Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

White Smaoke Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy White Smoke Part 2

OK, i know everyone is sick of hearing this...trust me i am too lol....but neways i had hood popped today and gave it a few revs and all the sudden ***cin oil shot out the BOV! So im pissed and im like damnit!1! so neways i go drive around and get on it kinda hard..(im very aggitated lol) and smoke just starts pooring out the exaust...like a fricken jet airplane in the cold air....like 200ft trail... so i get back to the house open the hood...oil all over that came out the bov and splashes on the intake and manifold (and where the hotpipe connects to the tube going into the turbo is just covered in it!)..so now i really have no idea what going on here people....any ideas ...thanks for putting up with my molarchy...

Last edited by motegineon; 01-27-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

You...check your oil lines? I would do that first. C'mon man! The first indication of a problem (oil coming out of blow-off valve) means that you shouldn't be getting on the car, because it'll only make it worse! Lol.

Check the gasket on your exhaust manifold too...if there is smoke, maybe oil is running off from the head of your engine. I would get that checked out...
Old 01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Contributing Member

none coming out of the gasket, i just had the turbo and manifold off 3 days ago and everything looked fine, and today is the first day ive seen it coming out of the bov or else i wouldnt have been driving it...ill recheck everything tomorrow when its light outside, but id there a possiblility this is an internal problem?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Most definitely a strong possibility. Is this the KA motor, or did you drop an SR in there? Any way you can check the compression? Also, what does the headgasket look like? Check for any oil leaks/stains there.

By getting a compression test, you'll be able to tell what condition your piston rings are, and if a cylinder tests really low, that could be your problem, and that would also be bad.

How much oil is it? Is it a lot, or just a little bit? You can also check the tips of your spark plugs to see if there is any oil on the top of them. This would also be an indication that oil is going past the oil ring.

I mean if all your lines are correct...I can only suspect that it's coming from the top of your motor and trickling down to your manifold. If anyone has any other ideas, please share--I'm out lol.

Good luck with everything man. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

ok, i did a comp test, and i dont know if i did it right or not? I did each plug at a time and put in the guage thing and started the car, each of em were at about 90 the whole time??? i know ur sposed to be at like 150 right? or was i sposed to give the car throttle or what?

Does anything think it could be fried rings?or maybe bad valve stem seals? Something along these lines?

also i forgot to add, when i pulled the plugs, number 3 had oil all over it and none of the others did. Any clues?

Last edited by motegineon; 01-27-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Oil out of the BOV means you need a catch can and your turbo is no doing so well.

Never get on it when you see oil come out the bov you can take out your motor that way.

SR compression should be 145-155 yours is very low. You need a rebuild or new short block.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:41 PM

pretty sure that would be one of the turbo cooling oil lines... itll leak into your intake piping and spray out the BOV when activated... the used intercooler i bought had oil in it when i got it... im guessing the guy before had the same problem...
Old 01-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

yea, im wondering if the turbo seals are bad? but would the turbo perform worse or would it not make a diff? wel ima do a leakdown test soon, anything specific to look for?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

The turbo cooling lines arent oil. They are coolant.

So if its the color of oil its oil.

Seal dont go bad in turbos, when oil comes out of the compressor or turbine wheel. That means that there is either blockage in the oil drain line or some debris got in the oil feed line and damaged the center cartridge.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:59 AM

to properly do a compression test take out all your plugs, then connect the gauge to one the cylinders at a time. you need to disable the ignition system so the vehicle will not start, then crank for 10-15 seconds until gauge has steadied.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Dont for get to pull the fuel pump fuse.

Other wise you get fuel all over the place.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

Lol, good luck bro--let us know whats going on.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

UPDATE for anyone who cares lol...i had did a leakdown test and everything came out good. the guy said it was definately my turbo. So i redid my compression test just to double check(i did it the way yall said too this time) and i got 160, 160, 150, 160 so i guess thats good. I now bought a t28 bb and z32 maf i still need 550cc injectors and an safc. One quick question, can i run the maf/ turbo for now with my tune made for the t25 so long as im not running to lean?