Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

drilling through the engine firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:50 PM

drilling through the engine firewall?

dont see any openings in the firewall to run wires to the battery from the amp. curious as to where exactly you guys drilled so i dont mess anything up. if you have pictures, thatd be great.

thanks

95 nissan 240sx
Old 06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Theres holes, you just got to find them.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

this is pretty random, but just an idea... if i were to took the AC hose that goes to your feet (that no one uses) and put it through the firewall and in front of the intake, lots of cold air.... would that be to big of a hole in the firewall??
Old 06-23-2005, 05:55 PM

I just put it through a seal on the passenger side of the car. Cut an X shape just big enough for the cable to fit in but to still keep it sealed from water, and then feed it underneath the passengers side under the dashboard. No drilling needed.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

when i ran the wires for my fogs, i cut part of the grommet for the main wiring harness (ecu wires). Its on the passenger side. Its a huge bundle of wires wrapped in black plastic. The grommet is like 2 inches across, you cant miss it
Thats probably what raiten was talkin bout
Old 06-23-2005, 11:54 PM

Yep, that's the one. Easy to get the wire inside the car. And the closest you can get to the battery.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

i thought it was a PITA... that grommet is thick, and has 2 layers... i cut it, and punched out the side on the motor lol. theres still one surface that seals...anyway, it looks good though... if you go to my cardomain, you can see where its at. my member name on cardomain is phantom240
Old 06-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Likewise as above, the main wiring harness grommet is your best bet. It's on the left side of the firewall (when facing the engine bay from the front of the car). It is really thick, but with the right tools (like a small blade screwdriver LOL) you can puncture a hole in it to run wires. Under the dash, that grommet leads to a spot just behind the A/C unit (behind the glove box). With small hands you can reach up under the A/C unit but you won't be able to actually touch the grommet (it's high enough behind there to not be reachable). However, if you can feed wires from the engine bay through the grommet, they will fall somewhere in the passenger footwell.

There's a lot of space to run wires too - on my car I have 8 14ga wires, 2 1cm dia. EDFC cables, and a vacuum line running through the main wiring harness grommet.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:48 PM

aigh i think i know where your talkin.. its completely safe to run another wire right in there? anyone happen to have some closeup pictures of it just so i can be sure?

thanks
Old 06-26-2005, 03:07 PM

is this the grommet you all are referring to?:

Old 06-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

yepperz
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 AM

i wouldn't actually use the main wiring harness grommet. I have installed systems on many cars and i've always drilled a new hole just for the wire. You just need to figure out how large the wire is and find a drill bit to match, but start out with a smaller drill bit and work your way up so that the drill doesn't twist it's way out of your hands. First question is... Do you drive an automatic or a manual. If you drive an automatic then you just have to look for the spot where the cllutch pedal would hook up and drill through there. Just make sure you drill as far to the left as you possibly can to avoid hitting the power brake booster. If that does not work. Just look for an open spot on the firewall and look for the place inside the car where you think the hole will end up and that usually works. Just make sure that your power cable is on the opposite side of your R/C cables to avoid any kind of interference. Having you R/C cables on the same side or right next to your power and REM can cause audio interference and cause whatever you are boosting with your amp to have lower quality sound. Distortion= Bad.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:58 PM

i say run the wire along the interior of the wheel wells (there is a huge hole to thread the cable through and unscrewing the underside panel of the wheel well makes it really easy to fish that cable through ) then cut the grommet where the speakers run into the door and slide it in however u see fit. I was trying to run a 4 guage power cable and I had too much trouble routing that sucker through the firewall grommet. I ended up doing it this way, its easier in my opinion for larger guage amp power cables, especially if you have stinger power cables which are nice and soft, so difficult to push that in tight spaces and it keeps your cable and fuse block right around the battery for easy access. You will still probably need some kind of rubber sealant just to make sure no water gets in where you cut it but just my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Pro-installers drill holes. There is always a spot, you just have to veryfiy. Of course factory grommets are easier, if the spot where they are at is adequate. Power wire is usually ran on the drivers side, and RCA's/Remote and speaker wires on the passengers side. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

ive always learned that you should run power wires down the same side as your battery, and rca's on the opposite side. This worked out well with my amp, cuz the wires came out on the right sides . And for running wires, i would say focatory grommets first, drill if necessary. Running it through the fender wells doesnt seem to healthy... it seems like the vibrations would eventually kill it.