Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

I need help on picking a sub setup.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 PM

I need help on picking a sub setup.

I'm new to car audio and I'm really looking just to get some bass in my 1990 4runner. Right now my truck has a Panasonic CQ-C5410/C5310U head unit in it, and the stock speakers. The speakers sound fine, even at high volumes, but I completely lack any low end. Originally the truck had an amp and one sub in it, but it was taken out when I bought it. I do have all the wiring intact and all I need to do is go hook up my amp, and when I get a sub, hook that up too and I'll be ready to go.

Now to what I need to know: I was given a Rockford Fosgate P3001 (300 Watt, mono amp), I hear that this is a lower end amp, but for free, I'm not going to complain. Now what I need is a sub set up that will run off this amp and provide a good amount of bass for a low price. I really don't need, or want, anything too crazy, because I don't want anyone breaking into my truck and stealing it, but I also don't want some piece of **** from wal-mart either. I just need somewhere to start, so give me some suggestions and I'll go check them out. Also, should I make my own box, or should I get a pre-made box? I want the best sound I can get out of this amp and sub(s), but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:37 PM

that amp is not low end..thats a great quality amp, but low wattage... but if u are gonna use that, a decent sub would be a rockford punch

Rockford - Punch 12" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohms Subwoofer P212S4
Capable of handling 400 watts (peak) and 200 watts RMS (continuous); injection-molded polypropylene cone with thermoplastic foam surround

On Sale

Reg. Price: $136.99
\
ebay it, you might find it cheaper.. this is direct from best buy
Old 09-06-2005, 01:15 PM

if you build your own box make sure you get the proper dimensions, checking to see whether u want to port it or seal it. technically a 12 will get louder but a 10" sub will have more of a punch. as far as sub suggestions, i like my kenwood typhoons, maybe go to tweeter or best buy and listen to some and check out their boxes and replicate them if u like the sound.

p.s. a good person to talk to is wikd240
Old 09-07-2005, 08:36 PM

Well I got my sub setup today. My dad was browsing through pawn shop and found something interesting, so he called me and told me to come check it out. Turned out to be two 10" MTX Thunder 6000 subs in a custom made box. Now these subs run for anywhere from $80-150 a piece, and the box alone is about $200. The final price? $100. The guy at the pawn shop guarenteed them to work, and as soon as I got home, I braved the 110 degree heat and began installing everything. Took me about an hour and a quick side trip to auto zone for some speaker wire, and I now have eveything hooked up in the back of my truck. My god...it sounds amazing. It blows my friend's 12" in the back of his Saturn away. The sound is extremely clean, yet it just rumbles the entire truck. I also just went out and showed it to a couple of my friends, one being the guy with the Saturn (He was amazed at the sound and even admitted that it was much better than his setup ) and I stopped by one of my friends from school's house and took her around with it, and she about had an orgasm, and then her friend who I haven't really talked to wanted to come for a ride and she was loving it the whole time. First she couldn't get over the truck for some reason, then she couldn't get over the sound, and then she was like "We gotta hang out more often!" So I'd like to thank MTX audio for providing me with an awesome setup, and getting me a chick to hang with.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:01 AM

yeah, mtx is awsome.. my pair is the 7500 or 8000... cant remember exactly.. but it bumps a lot.. i love em..

congrats, and enjoy