Need Some Info on Security Systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LaDyInRed
Gotcha I love ya Raine, you're great! LOL
heheh... I am loved yet again
Old 11-15-2004, 09:25 AM

OK well first you need to stay with a DEI product. These are the people who make Viper, Clifford, Valet...all the top names, as well as some kick *** audio equipment...ever heard of A/D/S. Anyways as far as your door locks go you can add aftermarket actuators that will work great as long as they are installed properly. On the remote start side of the deal it is perfectly safe as long as you remember to leave the car in nutreal. There alot of ways to prevent the car from remote starting...for instance the parking brake... It can be dangerous but only when you make it that way.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by l2aine
... but if you think about it, what about those factory navigation systems they mount in dash?

the navi can be used when driving but if you switch to video (except for a reverse camera) you have to apply the parking brake or at least bypass it
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 91coupe
Originally posted by l2aine
... but if you think about it, what about those factory navigation systems they mount in dash?

the navi can be used when driving but if you switch to video (except for a reverse camera) you have to apply the parking brake or at least bypass it
yeah I know that... it was one of those semi-sarcastic questions
Old 01-05-2005, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

okay now there is a lot of things being said about the legalitys of installing a remote start on a manual transmission...STEARNZY
sells compustar... oe of the best alarms to ever put on a manual transmission... the safety interlocks that have to be followed to get the system to remote start on a manual are the best i have ever installed... clifford used to be good as well... but now they are dei and they have the safety measures of a dei product... now even the dei alarms can be set for manual mode...
i have installed car audio for 14 years and in the 5 states that i have lived in i have never found in any of the vehicle codes where it is illegal to remote start a manual transmission...states include colorado texas montana california and now tennessee...if the system is installed right and programed right there is no way it will start if the car is in gear...i have done it hundreds of times...
for example for the compustar to remote start on a manual the car has to be dissarmed driven then parked with trans in netural andfoot off of the brake and clutch... press the remote start button exit the vehicle (it will run for a short time) arm the system and the car will shut off...now the alarm will remote start if you press the remote start button...IF the alarm has been triggered (set off) dis armed or the door opened since you set it up to remote start the car will not start until you get in the car start it rev the motor for a few min let off the brake and the clutch press the remote start button exit the vehicle and then arm the system...
the old cliffords worked in the same way...with the exception of having to rev the motor...
Me as a shop owner "told" people that it was against the law to install remote start systems in a manual trans car so i as a busniess owner would not have to deal with any legal issues or accidents from a car that was remote started while in gear causing injury damage or death to other people or property...if you want to know weater it is illegal or not... go to a dot inspection center and talk to the ref's there they will tell you that there is no law against a remote start on a manual vehicle...
it can be done and it can be done safely...
Old 01-05-2005, 03:53 PM

I heard it was illegal in NY.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member

that is what im talkin about... go to your department of motor vehicles smog or inspection station and ask the people there if they know anything about it... it might be illegal... but as far as every state i have worked in or owned a shop in there was nothing illegal about it...
Old 01-06-2005, 06:05 AM

Sorry a bit off topic but has to do with remote start. Just remember to leave the car in neautral. I allways put my car in gear when I get out of it and its hard to break the habit.

I was at best buy one day and seen this hot chick checking out next to me. So as I am about to walk out the store, I remote start the car. I guess I thought it would impress her to see the car waiting on me. I really have no clue what I was thinking. Plus it was loud as hell with the good ol 3in. Well this girl is walking out right in front of me. I get held up at the door, when I finally get out of the store there she is all pissed and yelling at my car to stop. When i finally realize whats going on I see that I had left my car in gear and its humping the front of her SUV.

It was funny as hell because the front of my civic was completely under the front of her SUV. And still trying to move forward. The damn thing wouldnt stop and the remote wouldnt turn it off. Thank god she had a bra on the front of her car because it only dented the hood a little. Good thing is I got her number. But it was only because we swapped info just in case something was wrong with the car that we didnt notice there.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 PM

any of you use autopage?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TWAN
...Good thing is I got her number. But it was only because we swapped info just in case something was wrong with the car that we didnt notice there.
Sorry pal, that doesn't count for pimp points ROFL
Old 01-21-2005, 12:40 PM

Also not illegal up here in ND to have remote start on manual. I use a compustar system, and it works great. Also, it has a better range than the DEI systems. I work at best buy, and me and one of the other installers decided to see how far we could go with our starters. I won by a couple hundred feet.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:49 AM

hahaha aww man nice story... lol i have a shiet alarm one of thoes no name brands=( i wanna get a better one and get power locks anyone recommend any? for around 100 something
Old 02-12-2005, 04:00 AM
Contributing Member

you could get the power door locks for around 100 but a good alarm is going to run you more than that... most quality alarms run around 300 bucks for a basic remote start unit...older cliffords befor dei could run you up to 1300.00 for an iq9000 with all the bells and whistles...i like the comustar 2 way paging alarms and as i said befor they have safety features that work with manual transmissions... as long as they are installed right...
Old 02-12-2005, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

You could get a decent alarm for about $75 and install it yourself... power lock actuators will cost maybe $50 if you shop good... but like I said, install the alarm yourself and save some $$. It's not hard - there's wiring info on the net

I installed my own alarm complete with the usual - starter cut, shock sensor, power locks, parking light flash, hood and trunk pin switches, and two remote outputs (one to turn my gauges/edfc on, one to turn my lights on)... and it cost me $55 for the alarm and about 2-3 hours of DIY