Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Radio installation

Ok, there's two wires that control power to the radio. If I hook up the radio like it should, it doesn't light up. If i cross the two power wires from the car and from the radio, it will work. But then when you turn the car to acc or on to play the radio, all the parking lights come on, well not the parking lights but they are all the lights. I can still turn on the parking lights via the switch (it just makes all the lights that are on brighter). Also, once you turn the car off again, when you turn it back on, the settings on the radio have been reset. It's almost like it just disconnects ALL power when the car's off. Can anyone help me figure out why it does this, and how to fix it? thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Ok changed.... Does anyone know how to wire in the radio as a whole? The previous owner had cut off the harness for the radio so I can't just buy an adapter for it. I have to splice all the wires. The only thing is, it seems there is many ways to get power to the radio, but no constant, when I turn off the accesory it cuts power. I have had it wired 4 different ways...the first way it had power, but no interior lights or "parking lights"...read the previuos to understand the quotes. The second way the radio had power and the "parking lights" had power, but no interior. The third way the radio had power, the interior lights worked, and the "parking lights" didn't work. And the fourth way, all the lights worked, but STILL no constant power to radio. Please help as this is really bugging me. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:45 PM

lets see here.....

12v = red/black
Ground = black
switched 12v = blue
illumination = red/blue
antenna control (power antenna) = black/red
LF Speaker + = brown/white
LF speaker - = brown
RF speaker + = blue/white
RF speaker - = Blue Yellow
LR speaker + = purple
LR speaker - = pink
RR speaker + = red
RR speaker - = green

That should be everything. Check all the fuses. Double check your connections, and if it still doesn't work, its time to start tracing wires. That is when it gets really fun.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:36 AM
Contributing Member

Ok i went back and checked, but there is no black-red wire for antenna. is it a different color? also, if i hook up constant to constant, and switched to switched, it still doesn't work, like it won't come on. There is no illumination wire on the head unit, so i tried connecting it to the constant and the int. lights worked. If i cross the constant and switched then the head unit works. This is a mess, lol.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:01 AM

i didn't read your post except you not having power .... i had a bad ground on my harness or something, so try using a ground to the body. i thought my stereo was dead at first, and i used a multimeter to check power which showed half the time. then for some reason i tried using the groun to the body of the car and everything showed up.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:40 AM

Yeah, try regrounding it. If that doesn't work, you will have to start tracing wires, or bring it to a stereo shop, and they will figure it out for you. Thats about all I can tell you.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:42 PM

nissans have crappy stock ground wires you have to ground it to one of the metal pieces of the dash frame. should work fine after
Old 01-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

I ran a new constant wire off the battery (fused of course), and all the stuff works fine now (dash clock, int. lights, annoying seat belt and door dinger) but the radio still doesn't retain settings. Any advice on this?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Then you must have hooked up that constant wire to the wrong one on the back of your deck. Try hooking it up to the other 12v wire. That should retain the settings.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

No it's hooked up to the red (constant). The other one (yellow) is the switched. Those are the only two powers. I'll try it but I don't think that's the problem.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 AM

Hmmm. Well, if you ran a constant power from your battery, and it still doesn't hold settings, that is the only thing that I can think of. Unless, there is something wrong internally with your deck.