Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Drift techniques and pointers for rookies

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:22 PM

The tires, LOL!

Blizzacks, not exactly the key tire for drifting, my old sponsor wanted me to try them out to see what they'd be about. Yeah . . .no . . .

-Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Did he want you to drift in the snow or something?? haha. Those are snow tires. Just because they have soft compound doesnt mean that they are good tires. haha.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

okay okay, i think i can start peicing these things together in my head, now to try some of these things on the track instead... lets hope it works out...

slightly off topic as per the subject matter, i have another ubernoob question... since this is going to be my first "event", what are these all about? is it mainly guys like me, or novices just able to get out and get down, or are they usually reserved for the experienced people? i want to get out there, but i don't want to take anyone's time up with possible useless attempts at drifting.. while others are waiting for thier "heats" to get points or whatever, is this a competition I'm entering? or just a "drift day"

the closer Saturday comes the more it's like I'm getting some poon for the first time, but knowing when to expect it, butterflies, nervousness, apprehension.. the works..

i feel like i can talk to y'all bout it considering you guys have been through it already, and i've been here a while and look up to most of you guys. so hopefully this is taken as it is, and i don't get railed on too hard lol...

any other tips for first timers?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

well drifting enviorments are generally very awesome. its like a car meet but with live action.

you will make buddies the could be for a lifetime just relax and have fun. I will list somethings to bring. the amount of things you will bring will depend on the condition of your car and only you know that. if you know your clutch may be failing, its good to bring an extra clutch kit. i have swapped clutches at events before and swapping transmissions is not uncommon either.

I dont want to scare you, but with this sport, you're either all in or watching from the stands.

Fill your tires up with about 50-55 psi before the event and Adjust accordingly to the feel. Rear tires for our cars needs to be hiked up ( results vary when your HP is higher), this will reduce sidewall flex ( because only gangsters stretch tires). the front tires should be at about 35-40ish psi this will allow for more contact with the ground. You also have to add in the PSI spike that will happen if you are going fast enough.

what to bring when just starting:

-Food/water

-All of your car lubercants ( except Ky Jelly )

-ALL of the basic hand tools ... bigger is better and tire changing equipment

-two ton and above jack with 4 jack stands at least 2

-tires and rims to drive home on

-zip ties

-tire pressure guage.

-helmet

-driving gloves becuase your palms will probably sweat and well they are just uber awesome.

bouns

Impact gun cordless or corded
-clutch disc/kit

-oil pan

-transmission

it may seem like a alot..but most of what i listed could be found in my 240 daily everywhere i went.

dont be like the guy that goes to the junkyard with white suit on and no tools in hand.... WTF is he there for hahahahaha. no is siad NO!!!! i will not pull that engine for you.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 11-09-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Dont worry about taking up other peoples time. Try not to be too nervous otherwise your just gonna start spinning out left and right.

If you find yourself getting really worked up and making alot of mistakes, just take a deep breath and try to relax yourself.

Talk to some other the other drivers, maybe you can sit shot-gun with them on a few runs and you can get a feel for what the car is supposed to be doing. (try to ride with someone with a set-up closest to yours)

Dont be afraid to ask other drivers what speed, initation they are using, etc...

And most of all

HAVE FUN!!!!

P.S. I wouldnt recommend bringing a girl to your first event, she might go home with someone else. Haha.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 240smoke
Did he want you to drift in the snow or something?? haha. Those are snow tires. Just because they have soft compound doesnt mean that they are good tires. haha.
I think he wanted me to die . . .I don't have him as a sponsor anymore for a few reasons:

1. He doesn't know what drifting is about, he thinks any tire that touches the road is a good tire . . .hence the decision on that one.

2. He forgot to order tires for an event a few months back, that's an unforgivable mess-up. Especially when you forget the tires the DAY BEFORE THE EVENT!

3. He called himself giving me good deals, I got with these other prices and they were beating HIS PRICES to me by 50 percent.

So yeah, don't screw over your driver, you'll go out of business . . . driver's talk.

Originally Posted by BlackZenki82
okay okay, i think i can start peicing these things together in my head, now to try some of these things on the track instead... lets hope it works out...

slightly off topic as per the subject matter, i have another ubernoob question... since this is going to be my first "event", what are these all about? is it mainly guys like me, or novices just able to get out and get down, or are they usually reserved for the experienced people? i want to get out there, but i don't want to take anyone's time up with possible useless attempts at drifting.. while others are waiting for thier "heats" to get points or whatever, is this a competition I'm entering? or just a "drift day"

the closer Saturday comes the more it's like I'm getting some poon for the first time, but knowing when to expect it, butterflies, nervousness, apprehension.. the works..

i feel like i can talk to y'all bout it considering you guys have been through it already, and i've been here a while and look up to most of you guys. so hopefully this is taken as it is, and i don't get railed on too hard lol...

any other tips for first timers?
Even though you need to relax, you're not going to be able to, it's just the way of the land dude, you'll get used to it, and then you'll be like me . . .I went from showing up an hour before gates opened to showing up almost an hour AFTER they opened, LOL!

Remember tech inspection, no leaks, battery tied down, seat belts work, seats fixed, tires properly inflated, no loose items in the car.

Remember your helmet

Remember to ALWAYS ASK FOR RIDE ALONGS! Until you get to where you can link a course everytime, you need to be riding along. Ride along with as many people as possible. If you're not driving, you should be in someone else's car unless you're working on yours.

Ask others to ride along with you and offer advice, and DO NOT be afraid of constructive criticism. You have driver's like ME that are kinda harsh and will say "You kinda suck, try this .. . " or "You're going WAY TOO SLOW into the sweeper, grab your ***** and go faster" . . . .on the other side you have drivers like my big brother (Biggamehit) who are nicer and will hold your hand through the entire course with "Words of Inspiration" . . *bah*

Drift or Die, that's how I look at it . . . I've dealt with both teachers, the ones that are super nice, and the ones that are a bit of a jerk . . .you take it all and learn from it. Usually the jerks are the better drivers, LOL!

*cough*MikePeters*cough*

Most events are a good mix of great drivers and not-so-good ones. But don't be afraid to ask other novice's what they think about your driving or for advice. And if someone asks you a question that you don't feel comfortable answering or that you feel isn't your place to answer (such as, where are the clipping points on the course) refer them to someone, it's better to pass the buck to a better driver or event-organizer than to give someone misinformation.

You'll do fine, you sound determined. Just get out there, learn, spin, crash (it WILL happen, it's not "if", it's "when"), pop tires, blow engines. That's how it's done.

Drifting is the dumbest thing you can do with a car . . .EVER!

And I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world . .

-Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

my car is pretty much top notch shape, not having a job, and a lot of free time has given me pleanty of time to tinker, rebuild stuff, and get **** right... so as far as my plans for bring along stuff, was gonna be.... oh an i'm commited, if i hit anything, i'm not gonna cry about cracked/broken aero, i'm gonna keep going (within safe reason)

food/gatorade
4 stock S14 wheels
7.5 tires, 3.5 @ 205/55/16 (stock) and 4 @ 225/55/16
2.5 ton hydraulic jack
4 jack stands (new addition, thanks biggamehit)
all my tools, sadly they all fit in one big carry tool box... but gets the job done, all of said stuffs will be loaded in my 2dr 4x4 tahoe, as my "pit truck" am i overdoing it? (side note, i can use my tahoe as a tow vehicle in case anything happens... thank god for third vehicles with the ability to tow a house)

i was planning on rocking my 18's up front, great tires, hella grip, and throwing the crappy ones on the back to slide around on... good idea?

i got this semi sponsor, and he said i could use the light weight 15's and tires off of his SCCA championship car... but i don't know if i want to take him up on that, i know my car will spin em better on 15's but i think they're like 15x10 or whatever, and far to wide for NA applications......

as far as asking for help, i was planning on doing that as much there as i am on here right now.... except i'll be out there..... good tip on the ride along, either someone with me, or me with someone, i would antually prefer the jerk, nothing locks my jaw harder in place than an a$$shole... so that would work best for me...

so if i can't "link" a course (i'm assuming that means maintain a drift through various turns) then i shouldn't try it? i know i'll be crap but i'm sure there's a turn or two i can hit up....

oh, and good shot on asking someone who has a similar setup how he does it.... there's got to be someone out there riding on nothing but springs and an open diff (weaksauce, i know)

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 11-09-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmmm your wrong david hahahaa

i dont really ofter to much beyond basic advice.. im am still learning.. i can link courses, but i have ways to go.

and lol i tell people how it is lol.. i know your just pulling my *****.. i mean my leg

--------------
bro

DON'T do that.. you car will look liek a See saw and from experince, i will never drift a car with a +2 difference..

i had 18s in the front and some 16s in the rear becasue they were free to burn.. i managed but i added the correct size and O MY.... a whole new ball game with much more control. I recommend when you get better to use the same size all the way around, it matters alot. Some pro's/amatures stagger tire and rim size, but they put in hours of testing and tuning at the track.

in relation to grip in front.. even starting i would suggest getting good tires up there with good PSI levels. Understeering becuase your tires suck is not good at all.

----

power and tire size:

i learned last event that the RB spins 235/45/18's on the rear like they are nothing... so i will not ever drift with anything under 17s in the rear that are at least 235's.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 11-09-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah, I run 245/45/17s all the way around and am about to pick up some 275s . . .I can't run anything lower than 245 because the grip level is far too low.

I would say for your car, a 225 or 235 16 or 17 would be optimal, as DJ said, you don't want to run too much of a stagger as it will throw the natural balance of your car off.

But, you'll see what's going on once you start drifting, you'll learn quickly and realize your follies as we all have. Hell, Donnie and I look back at the things we talked about and tried when we first started drifting and laugh because now we realize that it was silly to think that way.

HAH! I love drifting . .

-Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

as far as front tires for me... i dont run anything bigger than 235 lol it will turn into a steam roller lol

for example JR's Stang is running like 3xx in the rear and 235ish in the front. Really Larger than life tires in the front dont help with steering however as dave pointed out lol.... running 205's in the front dont really help lol.

ps

ALIGNMENT IS KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can do it with a crappy alignment as i have done in the pass... i mean you dont really think about it.. but when you are driving in a stright line fast as **** with the center of your steering wheel at 11 oclock lol you trick yourself.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

soooooo even though the outer diameter is the same on my 18's as on the 16's (i wanted to maintain speedo function), it will throw the balance off??? i mean i know it will look goofy, but they have the same overall outside size... i'm just worried about front grip cause the "spare" tires i have are all kinda crappy... and the one i have on now are excellent, even awesome wet weather traction, and i think i read somewhere you want as much grip up front to reduce understeer, and to control the angle of your oversteer...

sorry guys, please bear with me lolol

if anyone else has a questions, ask away, this is what this thread is about, not just my trials and tribulations...

EDIT: after posted i saw the alignment... my car tracks nice and straight, but i haven't had a chance to get an alignment since the Tien S-Techs
Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

But the diameter of the wheel is bigger.. tires size doesn't matter in relation to wheel size.

The balance is off because if you look at the car it will appear to have a reverse drag racing stance which will greatly effect handling characteristics

Go back and view all of those drift initiation techniques. If you go out with your car with improper balance, you will have a hard time performing them.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 11-09-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, yeah my car doesnt have the best alignment. I would recommend getting that diff welded though. Chop your springs and weld your diff. Haha.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

na dont chop your springs mate lol

also check out the how to section.

if you dont want to weld the diff. you can shim same results
Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

k cool.... i'll get the best 2 tires i have (i might get a penny, and take a pic of all of e, not sure which would be best as i have two different brands with different tread patterns), i'll get the best 2 and put them on the front....

what about my lack of alignment.... i have a bit of toe in on the rears, and some camber, looks like that "mad tyte" camber i see on those VIP cars or whatever just not near as serious... all from lowering the car.... this might turn out to be a much more $$ venture than i initially thought... i just wanted to be on my car for a few laps lolol

cut springs=EPIC FAIL

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 11-09-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Drift techniques and pointers for rookies