Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Drift techniques and pointers for rookies

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

You can get adjustable lower control arms to fix the camber angle. As long as your toe-angle adjusters arent froze, you can get them aligned at any tire shop. I was kidding about the chopped springs, I did this on my car and ended up blowing my struts out. I invested in a set of coil-overs after that.

This is my last event for this year.

Name:  10-12-08308.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  109.9 KB
Old 11-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

hahaha good stuff i chopped my springs also a long time ago.. but i heated them and seated them properly.

i have had JIC FLT-A1's on my 240 for the last hmmmm year and a half now.

Mr Black

its not so much about money... it about spending the money you have on the right stuff.

at your level honestly a set of pretty new ( at least about 75% tread ) tires will last you. you will not burn through tires while drifting unless you just spin out and keep mashing the gas.

a big factor is actually the surface. if you drift on a black top surface it will be easier on you the car and tires.

if you are on one of the jagged rock parking lots, tires will go away fast and it sucks when a rock just kills one part of the tread.

as you get better your tires will not last as long.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 11-09-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

I just used a plasma cutter to cut some of the rings out. It looked good when I was done but bounced around like a damn Kangaroo
Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

thanks big, all the tires are have are around 50% if not less... but i have 7.5 of em to work with... and a truck to haul em all lol... i hope to have some left, cause i was thinking of rocking my SE wheels for a while. i saw a guy with the same aero as i, and he was rocking his SE's and i don't think it looked that bad... with my 1" spacers it shoud look okay... here's a pic of his ride...

Name:  PICT0068-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  156.1 KB
Name:  PICT0070-1-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  168.6 KB

i think it looks kind of clean IMO.... we'll see after the drift event if i leave em on or not....
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Nothing wrong with stock wheels . . .I don't think I'll go up passed stock at all unless it proves to be supremely beneficial. It's not how good your car looks, it's how good you look driving your car . . .
Old 11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

i look great while driving my car!!!! one benefit to having most of my ext stuff done and less than a 1/3rd of my mechanical stuff done is my car looks great, show stopper on the streets, chick scope me, and yeah, i give em that "yes you can" grin....

i've even been stopped at red lights by older fellows (40+), and having them tell me what a nice car i have... kinda nice when even the older crowd who doesn't much understand the whole tuner deal can respect a car i've put so much into.... and here i am bout to go beat on it at the track.... better bring zip ties...

either way, tomorrow i'll get the "good" set of tires put on my OE wheels and drive on em till saturday, might have a bit of spirited driving as well to get accustomed to the new tire/witdh/track feel...
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
It's not how good your car looks, it's how good you look driving your car . . .
From the top . . .repeat after me . . . LOL

EDIT: WOOT! 944 posts . . .
Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BlackZenki82
chick scope me, and yeah, i give em that "yes you can" grin....

I'm all over it baby lol... no sense in repetition... oh and on another local forum here, looks like i laid claim to a VLSD for $20, lets hope i can scoop it up by this weekend. i DO WORK so i'll install it as soon as i get home... lets just hope it's 6 bolt and not 5.... coming out of a RB20 swapped S14, it should be plug and play... let's also hope it's not a dead one either... the guy doesn't even know what he has... he had to ask the guy who sold him the car if it was a VLSD... S14 with ABS, oh yeah, VLSD, and a stock S14 VLSD and not J30..... $20? who cares, i'll swap the fluid and work that summabish over at the track... might even improve my 1/4 miles times a bit....

i hear they're not much better for drifting than an open diff but after my research it seems as though everyone seems to think something is better than nothing.... lets hope it comes through...

EDIT: post No.215.... already took a screen shot of my 240th post on 240sxforums.com.... sorry S-chassis, been cheating on ya bit...
Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

nothing at all like open diff.

im not going to say you cant drift open diff, i have, but

you nees lots of forward momentum.

open diff= long days

check out the how to section and have a look at my updated writeup thread

i just modifiyed my VLSD to act like a 2 way for a total of about 30-40 bucks or so.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 PM

Yeah, I just run a locking differential . . .my big brother just can't let me win . . .
Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

okay so i read the write up.... jesus man, you do work....

a few questions, you say it's like your welded diff in the write up, but i'm assuming you don't have the chirp chirp or creeeeeech pulling into parking spots... also, how many people that you know have done this? i was just wondering the long term effects of doing this, and if it's really as simple as you make it look, i just may get this done before this weekend... greatsauce

confirmation, it is a VLSD, and i am getting it for $20... will be picking it up tuesday afternoon and if not installing that night, then wednesday around noon.... full pics in build thread when it happens gents!!

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 11-10-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 AM

I personally don't see how my big brother runs a welded diff. I've driven cars and have seen cars with them, it's a huge inconvenience in anything but the most shallow of turns on the hottest day. Snow, rain, cold ground, tight turn, parking . .fun. He's a walking muscle so he just gorilla's his car into a parking space, but I mean, if you enjoy daily drivability, welded isn't the way to go. Just get a limited slip if it concerns you.

-Dave
Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

............dave a real 2way diff does the samethings you just mentioned.........

Black... there is no issues. you are just adding more shims... its an old trick however i just learned about it. and from my research alot of guys are running it. Just another alternative.

some people expereince the 2way symptoms when they add the 3 biggest shims, I drfited it and it felt lovely both wheels spinning at the same time from a dead stop.

its very simple man.. you just need an impact. there is no other way of breaking those bolts on the ring gear unless
you have a big Vise mounted to a table which is mounted to the floor with a big breaker bar.

total time from start to finish with a water break and some cleaning was about 2 hours.

if on the ground i would add about 30 min to it.....

Last edited by Biggamehit; 11-10-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:24 AM

But a real 2-way is still allows for differentiation, it just locks easily and that's still dependent on what's dialed in.

A good example would be the Detroit Locker for the Mustangs, they are true-lock, both wheels, all the time, no matter what when power is applied, but if you go around a turn like a normal person, the wheels are allowed to spin at different speeds to compensate for the fact that you're turning.

-Dave
Old 11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

I have welded diff and daily drive my car and I go through a set of rear tires every month. People constantly yell at me when I go around turns and my tires are squealing. They think i am driving fast or something. I have another 240 with a limited slip and I prefer daily driving that much more but it is currently not running.

It snowed last night and I am driving my nice car in the salt covered roads, not a good thing.

This is a picture of my other 240 before I slid it into a pole.

Name:  l_14d5e35ff25ba6c62b4b908acbe60eeb.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  37.1 KB

Last edited by 240smoke; 11-10-2008 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Drift techniques and pointers for rookies