Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Is Drifting a passing fad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:43 PM

Now THIS is a fad!!

Drifting is NOT quite the same.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:30 PM

Drifting isn't a passing fad for one main reason. A significant amount of people drifted before it was popular. Those who fall in love with it will always do it.

However the bandwagon drifters will probably fade out. Hopefully. I can't call myself a drifter, yet. I hope to get into it but currently I am just trying to keep my 240 in good running shape. Drifting puts way to must stress on 13 year old parts for me to try drifting until I get upgraded.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SneakyMilo
Drifting isn't a passing fad for one main reason. A significant amount of people drifted before it was popular. Those who fall in love with it will always do it.

However the bandwagon drifters will probably fade out. Hopefully. I can't call myself a drifter, yet. I hope to get into it but currently I am just trying to keep my 240 in good running shape. Drifting puts way to must stress on 13 year old parts for me to try drifting until I get upgraded.
Drifting is only a "fad" to those who have only been exposed to it recently because of D1 and how the Import magazines shoved it down everyone's throats... to those of us who knew of drifting years back (I for one) it was never a fad. And I agree, once the bandwagoners fade out, drifting will still be around.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:21 PM

Drifting is whatever you make it. IF ANYTHING ITS A FAD TO THOSE WHO QUESTION IF ITS A FAD. Drifting is drifting, love it or hate it, it will be around forever, regardless of its following. Remember how cool street racing before Fast and the Furious? Probably not because you didnt know about before that. People were street racing before that silly movie. And people have been drifting since before you got a hold of Import Tuner and learned what "Touge" meant.

I mean really, who gives a **** who thinks its a fad or not. If you like it then do it. But at least no what you are doing! Drifting will have a falling out because of kids trying to do it in unsafe areas. Everyday I hear that kids saying how they want to learn to drift so they can "show-off" at the street races. This will inevitably ruin it for everyone smart. Just be ready for it because I gaurantee you its coming, mark my words!

Last edited by rps13VEk; 03-22-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 AM

Like you guys said, I think it isn't a fad because of the already huge amount of people who did it before all the hype. It will always be fun to the people who always did it. I bought my car and wanted to learn more about it and in return got into drifting. Now I'm a real fan, I always liked rally but now I really into drifting and want to continue learning and getting better at it. I just hope it doesn't die down. Just look what the fast and furious did to street racing. Now nobody can do it secretly without the po-pos showing up. I hope drifting stays low.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:21 AM

i kind of always knew what drifters were. in my hometown, theres the Gang Riders, Low Riders, Vanning, VIP cars, truck "yarou", drifters, racers and more recently, ricers. we had some idea of what drifters were, we just thought they went around hitting guard rails with their cars. thats how it was explained to me by a friend back in 9th grade. the way to tell if they are a drifter, look for fender benders and black wheels
(looking back, i think those were Watanabe). and what do you know, my friends all started drifting Senior year. and I picked up some drifting tidbits here and there.

thats just my personal point-of-view. i knew they were around but, didnt care too much about drifting. just not my thing i guess. but, i've always liked drag racing and the S14b. its my favorite Silvia. whaddyaknow? i own one now. does that make me a drifter? no. thats the ONLY thing that ticks me off about the stateside drift scene. people stopping next to me at a redlight to ask me where i drift. just my .02
Old 04-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by swannjay
i kind of always knew what drifters were. in my hometown, theres the Gang Riders, Low Riders, Vanning, VIP cars, truck "yarou", drifters, racers and more recently, ricers. we had some idea of what drifters were, we just thought they went around hitting guard rails with their cars. thats how it was explained to me by a friend back in 9th grade. the way to tell if they are a drifter, look for fender benders and black wheels
(looking back, i think those were Watanabe). and what do you know, my friends all started drifting Senior year. and I picked up some drifting tidbits here and there.

thats just my personal point-of-view. i knew they were around but, didnt care too much about drifting. just not my thing i guess. but, i've always liked drag racing and the S14b. its my favorite Silvia. whaddyaknow? i own one now. does that make me a drifter? no. thats the ONLY thing that ticks me off about the stateside drift scene. people stopping next to me at a redlight to ask me where i drift. just my .02
Whenever someone asks something like that (usually some high schooler) I just laugh and continue about my business... it's usually followed up by the other usual questions like "you got an SR in thuuurrrr?"

I choose to amuse myself whenever someone like that comes around. I save the hate for the Hondas
Old 04-15-2004, 11:45 AM

Agreed. I love driving around in my bone-stock (as of now) s13 and having these lil guys driving ford festivas asking "yo dude, what engine you got in there?"

Oh well if they want to admire my 14 year old hatch with absolutely nothing done to it, I am not gonna stop em

BTW, I live in a very honda crazy town so it is rare to see 240's or nissans in general.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:37 AM

blah who cares.. lets go driftttt.. yesterday i fell off the road.. but ohwell.. thats why i buy used tires.. spray paint my car myself b/c shiitttt.. i'm beatin my car uppppp...

i think it's gonna grow to sumthin like scca solo x.. it'll be a weekend thing.. just take your car out kick it around and then drive it home... some ppl will do it for fun.. and a few ppl will do it as a living.. other ppl will allllwwways be at the track,,, but all they will do is watch .... but whatever.. long as i can do it i dont care how big it is.. i'll be there with all 12 ppl if thats all thats left when the FAD wears out.. in my busted 13.. lsd anyone ?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by irax
acualy, i bought the car and didnt know what drifting was.. till for some reason i looked on kaZaa for "240sx" videos and i got drifting.. i allways have been a big fan of the WRC.. and since drifting has origins from the WRC i decided to try it out, and find out more.. and i just fell in love.. and its my first car so... yeah
word for word....everything u said expalins how i got into it....except its not my first car. I bought my 240sx not even knowing that they were used as avid drifting cars...hell, i didnt even know what drifting was...but now after finding friends with other 240's that have showed me the way of drift , i now love this so called "fad"
Old 05-04-2004, 12:55 PM

Man, I hate it when there are posers out there. Not saying that any of u guys are posers, but it's true that when something is new and popular thats like the only reason ppl get into it. I hope Drifting doesn't turn out to be another Tony Hawk thing.

P.S. Pokemon Still Owns.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:59 PM

not startin crap but whats wrong wit tony hawk?. i dont skate so dont put that on me.. i just dont get it
Old 05-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by needasr20
not startin crap but whats wrong wit tony hawk?. i dont skate so dont put that on me.. i just dont get it
Tony Hawk 4 Underground is pretty fun
Old 05-07-2004, 11:46 AM

Man, thats how I got started. I got my car and wanted to find parts. I saw these drift spec 240's and wanted to see what it was all about. I knew about drifting here and there but I wasn't interested enough to care. When I found drifting I liked it because it was more exciting than street racing. I became a real fan when I tried to learn more about it and got all these videos with 240's and 180's. I was like man I wish I had stick so I could do it. Then I learned you dont need stick, you don't even need mods on your car. That's when I started drifting, who cares what people think I am going to drift no matter what!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:50 AM

.....and by the way scooters are coming back big time....OH YEAH!!!

Quick Reply: Is Drifting a passing fad?