Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Stig drifting the Miata!!! Kinda Sucky Actually!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by yarou
Drifting with a torsen isn't too hot, it transfers power to the outer wheel during a turn which attempts to prevent wheel spin and keep you on track. The TBR is 3:1, so in many cases when your outer wheel gets more power for traction, it'll be spinning harder than the inside wheel. I would think that this has a tendency to feel inconsistent for many different speed turns when trying to slide, torsen's are much better for grip since you don't want wheel slip. I also don't understand how the torsen would lock harder than a welded, since it's always locked. lol
You do understand that welding the differential puts undue strain on various OTHER parts of your driveline. Lets count the number of high end (non-professional) drifters that are currently running on a welded differential.

Now lets count the number that are running on limited slip differentials . . .oh gee, look at THAT voltage spike.

The torque sensing differential is ideal for many forms of motorsport from grip racing in autocross to powersliding in drifting events, even on up to higher end performance events such as road racing and time trials.

Welded differentials are also HORRIBLE for driving on the street, which this car currently does and when pushing a car at all, you only have two choices, drive with the tail out or understeer. Welded differentials will cause your car to understeer if you're not trying to slide. But I'm sure you knew that as well.

The limited slip has far more pros than cons, especially when considering that this IS the differential that is RECOMMENDED by Mazda Motorsports (oops, Mazda Speed) and is even PROVEN that it's a better performer than the clutch-type differential which a event the all mighty S-Chassis is known to run on when it's not running the VLSD.

Yes, I see it now, lets weld the differential so that everywhere I go the tail has to be out.

Yes, I drift my car, but it's not a drifter that races, it's a race car that drifts.

-Stig
Old 02-29-2008, 10:29 AM

first off i have a welded under steer isnt that bad just dont floor it going into a turn unless you are trying to slide it.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tehott240
first off i have a welded under steer isnt that bad just dont floor it going into a turn unless you are trying to slide it.
Okay, if you go in hot, say hello to that street pole for me on the way down, try using that setup on a road course slick...

Welded differential is only good for being the poor-man's way of sliding a car around. I will admit that if I had an open, I may consider welding it, but my Miata was fortunate enough to have a swapped out subframe and rearend so I'm quite happy with it as are several other drivers that use a similar sort of differential.

-Stig
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
You do understand that welding the differential puts undue strain on various OTHER parts of your driveline. Lets count the number of high end (non-professional) drifters that are currently running on a welded differential.

Now lets count the number that are running on limited slip differentials . . .oh gee, look at THAT voltage spike.

The torque sensing differential is ideal for many forms of motorsport from grip racing in autocross to powersliding in drifting events, even on up to higher end performance events such as road racing and time trials.

Welded differentials are also HORRIBLE for driving on the street, which this car currently does and when pushing a car at all, you only have two choices, drive with the tail out or understeer. Welded differentials will cause your car to understeer if you're not trying to slide. But I'm sure you knew that as well.

The limited slip has far more pros than cons, especially when considering that this IS the differential that is RECOMMENDED by Mazda Motorsports (oops, Mazda Speed) and is even PROVEN that it's a better performer than the clutch-type differential which a event the all mighty S-Chassis is known to run on when it's not running the VLSD.

Yes, I see it now, lets weld the differential so that everywhere I go the tail has to be out.

Yes, I drift my car, but it's not a drifter that races, it's a race car that drifts.

-Stig
I figured that miata was only for drift, since thats what you tried to do in the video, and especially since your username is USMCDrifter. I know well how nice the torsen is, I have a torsen too, but for drifting it's a different story which was what I was trying to get across. And please, you can talk all you want about drivetrain strain and how ****ty it is for driving on the street but thousands of people across everywhere can tell you that **** is way over exaggerated. Me being one of them. Let's stop with your condescending tone and maybe try to comprehend the context of my previous post.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

over exaggerated or not any undue strain that can be avoided is a good thing. lets not for get that reliability is more important, premature failure = no drift.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:15 PM

Okay, if you go in hot, say hello to that street pole for me on the way down, try using that setup on a road course slick...

Welded differential is only good for being the poor-man's way of sliding a car around. I will admit that if I had an open, I may consider welding it, but my Miata was fortunate enough to have a swapped out subframe and rearend so I'm quite happy with it as are several other drivers that use a similar sort of differential.

-Stig
under steer didnt change any for me the last time i was at autox with the welded compared to the open the only thing that changed was over steer obviously, but if you learn how to control it then your fine. and the welded diff thing is a little over exaggerated because they really arent that bad.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 AM

You should have stolen one of the E30's there Stig, and rocked that once you saw the Miata wasn't cutting it lol. But I understand the challenge and facing it, so good job and good luck getting more power and more familiarity with the chassis.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

so it takes a racing license to be a good driver now?

i participate in plenty of ****, no racing license

what does this racing license even consist of??

theres a lot of other **** we put on our cars that add extra strain on various other parts as well, i dont hear everyone *****ing about those parts..

driving a car with a welded is much more predictable than other types of lsd, no welded's arent ideal for daily, but yes they are excellent for the track

Last edited by motegineon; 03-01-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

dang, by the looks of it you gotta be pretty good to get a racing license!

oh yea, and when did a stock miata become a racecar?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by zenkislider
dang, by the looks of it you gotta be pretty good to get a racing license!

oh yea, and when did a stock miata become a racecar?
LOL! Not at all, I'm a licensed racer and I'm horrible at sliding that car around, it does make me miss my BMW's because I had those cars down to a T. I could slide those all day, the limited torque and narrow chassis of this car makes it a touch more challenging but it's size and rigid frame make it very controllable and ultra predictable.

Originally Posted by motegineon
so it takes a racing license to be a good driver now?

i participate in plenty of ****, no racing license

what does this racing license even consist of??

theres a lot of other **** we put on our cars that add extra strain on various other parts as well, i dont hear everyone *****ing about those parts..

driving a car with a welded is much more predictable than other types of lsd, no welded's arent ideal for daily, but yes they are excellent for the track
In order:

No

I'm glad, lets see how you fare in club racing

2-4 schools each at 1500-3900 a piece, a log book with 3 track events at minimum, a novice permit, physicians form, and 30 hours before you can certify with each track event counting as 5 hours.

True, but we don't weld fins onto our turbos to get bigger boost do we?

Yes driving a car with a welded diff IS predictible if THIS is your normal realm of conversation:

So this car is predictible? Prove it!

"Okay, you see turn 10 right there, watch me go into it, slide over the front wheels trying to turn in, then as I reach the apex, I'll throttle it, create catastrophic push-understeer then due to my wheels not being able to differentiate, I'll be almost unexpectedly thrown into severe oversteer which I'll just be able to pull back in line..."

Ready?

I'm ready!

Here we go!

Originally Posted by tehott240
under steer didnt change any for me the last time i was at autox with the welded compared to the open the only thing that changed was over steer obviously, but if you learn how to control it then your fine. and the welded diff thing is a little over exaggerated because they really arent that bad.
A welded diff is a very bad idea for grip racing, the reason they MAKE these limited slip differentials is due to the fact that to control a car properly and to turn IN properly, you'll need to be able to have one wheel spin faster than the other. While drifting negates this purpose, turning and following a proper racing line is necessary when gripping. If you can do that with a welded diff, you show me!

What is this . . .is this whole forum filled with kids who have barely graduated high school. I think Marty was right, as blunt as he was, these forums are geared more towards the 17 year old than the 27 year old. And judging by the range or responses I've just recieved . . . that's not that far off from the truth.

Originally Posted by Kaiser
You should have stolen one of the E30's there Stig, and rocked that once you saw the Miata wasn't cutting it lol. But I understand the challenge and facing it, so good job and good luck getting more power and more familiarity with the chassis.

Yeah the E30 is definitely a MUCH better platform for sliding. The Miata would probably out grip it, but the longer wheel base, stronger torque and larger torque band really does give the E30 an advantage. I'm enjoying the Miata so far, and seeing as how it's not really being built for drifting but for grip racing, I think it'll be only a matter of time before I'm ripping it up like John Martin.

-Stig
Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 AM

^^why are you getting so mad, just except the fact that they arent that bad and move on and your the one acting like a ****in kid.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 AM

USMCDrifter:

I don't think anyone here is acting childish. I agree with you on not going with a welded differential. I personally wouldn't do it either. They've only stated their belief and the reasoning behind it. I think you may be taking it too personally.

I too was expecting phenomenal drifting considering you user name, and talk of a 5 series build for drifting. Plus you do call yourself the "The Stig". I don't particularly care, after watching some of the video I planned to type in "well at least you went out there and tried."

It's the internet don't take it personally.

Perhaps post up some videos of your drifting the bmw to silence the naysayers?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:27 AM

LOL! I should, but alas . . .my dumbass sold my BMW's to make way for this. Perhaps I'll take your and Kaiser's advice and pick up another E30 . . .it seems to be the concensus around the forums. Soo, I might do that . .

Then again, to be honest, my friend has an S14 for 800 with a blown motor, the S14 guys seem to do quite well, but that's because they get much more time behind the wheel of their vehicles, I don't drive my Miata very often outside of track events or just going to work and back.

-Stig
Old 03-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

In order:

No

I'm glad, lets see how you fare in club racing

2-4 schools each at 1500-3900 a piece, a log book with 3 track events at minimum, a novice permit, physicians form, and 30 hours before you can certify with each track event counting as 5 hours.

True, but we don't weld fins onto our turbos to get bigger boost do we?

Yes driving a car with a welded diff IS predictible if THIS is your normal realm of conversation:

So this car is predictible? Prove it!

"Okay, you see turn 10 right there, watch me go into it, slide over the front wheels trying to turn in, then as I reach the apex, I'll throttle it, create catastrophic push-understeer then due to my wheels not being able to differentiate, I'll be almost unexpectedly thrown into severe oversteer which I'll just be able to pull back in line..."

Ready?

I'm ready!

Here we go!

What is this . . .is this whole forum filled with kids who have barely graduated high school. I think Marty was right, as blunt as he was, these forums are geared more towards the 17 year old than the 27 year old. And judging by the range or responses I've just recieved . . . that's not that far off from the truth.

-Stig
i would gladly compete in club racing, except its nowhere to be found around where i live

wow, thats a lot of money, no wonder most of us dont have one..and what does it allow you to do?

most on here are younger, im 22..im in college..and i put every bit of my money into my car and making drift/grip events..so is that a bad thing? from an financial standpoint most definitely..but when im 27 or however old im going to be one hell of a driver..

i dont see how welding fins in turbos is relevant but whatever, if it allows higher boost and i actually cared about dyno numbers i would do it..i just get sick of people whining about welded diffs being hard on the suspension, then they go out and grip/drift there vehicle..really?! u dont think that crap is hard on ur suspension..i think when you decide to actually drive your car you accept the fact that your beating on it and its not going to last as long..

i drove an s14 welded and it understeered much less than before the welded, it was also much more predictable..if a driver comes out of an apex, and just begins understeering, then that person clearly cannot drive..

either way, im not trying to argue, i simply dont agree with some points

the thing that gets me the most is u post a drifting video, which wasnt the greatest and im sure u can admit that, but i always applaud people for practicing and posting up to take constructive criticism..and then u basically say everyone needs to shutup because u have a "racing license" like were suppose to be impressed by that
Old 03-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

lol. at this ****.

no

no

Laugh
My
Off

haha like omg wtf lmao rofl.

You need practice, but thanks for the vids and im glad you atleast drive your car. Good Job.

keep posting more vids. Perhaps the sick *** BMW ones.

Quick Reply: Stig drifting the Miata!!! Kinda Sucky Actually!