Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Stig drifting the Miata!!! Kinda Sucky Actually!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by motegineon
i would gladly compete in club racing, except its nowhere to be found around where i live

wow, thats a lot of money, no wonder most of us dont have one..and what does it allow you to do?

most on here are younger, im 22..im in college..and i put every bit of my money into my car and making drift/grip events..so is that a bad thing? from an financial standpoint most definitely..but when im 27 or however old im going to be one hell of a driver..

i dont see how welding fins in turbos is relevant but whatever, if it allows higher boost and i actually cared about dyno numbers i would do it..i just get sick of people whining about welded diffs being hard on the suspension, then they go out and grip/drift there vehicle..really?! u dont think that crap is hard on ur suspension..i think when you decide to actually drive your car you accept the fact that your beating on it and its not going to last as long..

i drove an s14 welded and it understeered much less than before the welded, it was also much more predictable..if a driver comes out of an apex, and just begins understeering, then that person clearly cannot drive..

either way, im not trying to argue, i simply dont agree with some points

the thing that gets me the most is u post a drifting video, which wasnt the greatest and im sure u can admit that, but i always applaud people for practicing and posting up to take constructive criticism..and then u basically say everyone needs to shutup because u have a "racing license" like were suppose to be impressed by that
In order:

Yeah it's quite a bit, but it's kind of like when you get your EGA when graduating boot camp, you've been through the Crucible, you've learned with the best from the best and you can go forth and do great things and learn more and experience greater on your own.

It doesn't really allow you to do anything special besides compete on semi-professional and professional levels, even then, if your pocketbook doesn't agree, you're not doing it.

I will admit, I'm horrible in this car, and I'm not that much better in a Bimmer, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, and I never meant to down talk anyone by saying "I have a racing license" it's just that I get a lot of talk about "driving" and "technique" from persons that have never once seen a track. That's what gets to me. Sure you can be a good drive around your neighborhood when you're endangering lives sliding around your couldersack, but anyone who HAS been on the track can tell them that the turns are a LOT different when setup on a course and you're trying to follow somewhat of a line.

The saying goes and still stands true:

You can learn more with one day on the track than with a lifetime on the streets.

That said, a kid who comes up to me and says "You suck, you should do this to your car" makes me have to doubletake slightly like "And you are?"

Motegi, you know you and I have been tight since day one, and I know how you criticize, I just got defensive because I felt you were more attacking the driver rather than the driving! I've never known you to do that so I don't know why I thought that . . .

Originally Posted by zenkislider
lol. at this ****.

no

no

Laugh
My
Off

haha like omg wtf lmao rofl.

You need practice, but thanks for the vids and im glad you atleast drive your car. Good Job.

keep posting more vids. Perhaps the sick *** BMW ones.

I do need practice

If I can recover any BMW drifting, I'll get it up, but it'll probably have to wait until I purchase another, I'm searching for an E30 . . .we'll see how that turns out!

-Stig
Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

you know what i want. sorry to jack it lmao.

but i want a mercedes 190 evo. I swear id trade my 240 for one anyday.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:07 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA! No problem, this thread was spiraling downward anyway . . .only a matter of time before a mod said *close* LOL!

There are a ton of cars that people would lose body parts for, personally, I wouldn't mind having a 1988 BMW M3 Evo III, that'd be niiiice . . .the 190 Evo is an awesome car, and if you can find one with the right suspension tuning, you've got a gem ^_^

-Stig
Old 03-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

most def man I hear you

i tell all people who havent come to the track do so, i always tell them your skill will multiply by atleast 10 in one day at the track, no matter how many years youve been driving..ive learned that from personal experience..

yea man im not gonna attack u, i just hate when people have like a license or something like that and think their the **** because of it, but i know ur not like that so its cool

reminds me of rich ****ers who think there amazing because they can beat me in their Ferrari's, its like um...sorry buddy your not good just because you have money and i dont, if i were driving that car my lap time would be far better than yours..

Last edited by motegineon; 03-01-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:29 PM

f'n A bro . . .you have to come down to GA and hit up the laps, Road Atlanta FTW!!!

You know what I just noticed.

YOU HAVE AN F'ING PANDA PIRATE IN YOUR SIG!

THAT . . .

IS . . . .

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want one!!

LOL!

But seriously . . . In the future, I will try to not put forth that sort of implied arrogance, that was my fault and I apologize.

-Stig
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

apology accepted...

haha..i wasn't even in the ****

+1 for the 190 evo..****s awesome
Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
HAHAHAHAHAHA! No problem, this thread was spiraling downward anyway . . .only a matter of time before a mod said *close* LOL!

There are a ton of cars that people would lose body parts for, personally, I wouldn't mind having a 1988 BMW M3 Evo III, that'd be niiiice . . .the 190 Evo is an awesome car, and if you can find one with the right suspension tuning, you've got a gem ^_^

-Stig
I want a M3 Evo III as well, and it sucks even more when I go to Motorsports Connections down the road and see a row of them and other M3's. But I am planning on just putting a Euro S50 or S52 in my E30 when I get the dough. My brother works up at Bimmerworld now though so maybe I can get you the hook-up if you come to the dark side.

Though if you stick with the Miata you will rape the grip scene probably. About a fourth of the auto-x cars here are Miata's or other roadsters.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

ahhhh.... hmmm...

dave you never posted vids of you sliding the skylines in japan.....

vids can be a bad thing for those that don't. know you.. i know you, your background and what you have accomplished in motorsports.. so i know what you are capable of.

guys just do what you want.

I slide welded so what lol.. i couldn't afford a 1.5way diff.. now i can... but i didn't have issues with it.. adapt and overcome.

but lsd's are made for a reason as he said

im so done with online rants lol

but in this world.. some people race and other watch....

what are you? ( to everyone )

so if you are not actively racing you have no right to critique any one at all...
Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Everyone that HAS a racing license and actually participates in events raise your hand...

thought so...

Thanks ^_^

-Stig
... I hate you... Mr. Know-It-All...

Time to go home and watch Dave drift the clown car! W00T! Not implying it in a bad way either Dave, just that Miatas remind me of a clown car...

And yes, FIND ANOTHER BIMMER!!!!!!!!!! I might join your ranks with and E46 in a couple years...=O

Last edited by NiSmO Knight; 03-06-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I am a bit late when chiming in, but that Miata seems grippy as hell!

Looks like a good time though, man. Wish I didn't have to finish school, or else I'd be on my next project car. :/
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM

Commented on youtube video. Keep praticing in whatever you dig, I personally like to see miatas sideways, it presents a challege. Etherway don't worry about what some slap dicks say on here, some of these guys can't tell a intake manifold from a exhaust manifold..
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM

ugh. miatas ftw
Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM

the torsen is actually better than welding, it's very durable and the torque sensing feature means that when I up the power significantly, she'll lock harder . . . .

-Stig
Also when you apply 0 throttle to the gas and brake. The braking system is offered more control than a weldy where as with a weldy either if just left or right brake locks, then both rears lock up regardless, because the axles would provide 0 slippage from one axle, or the other. In any case locking up the rear allows for the car to spin out with no time for reaction. Independent axles are much more maneuverable than an axle that is bound together. Even the idea of a 2way isn't very satisfying for me.
I'm just saying this from experience from dealing with viscous types, to weldy's, which eventually I just purchased an OBX helical.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Club240 Staff

You need my old silviata.....it drifted itself

Of course it certainly didnt hurt that I had a pro driving it. BTW, couldnt agree more on the welded diff. I am heavily against that
Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM

***** it you thrashed and thats whats matters. Kill them cones, they'll think twice about getting in your way.

You went drifting, you learned some new stuff and you know what you need to do to mod it to your liking. Get on it. Just do it!

The saying goes and still stands true:

You can learn more with one day on the track than with a lifetime on the streets.
I believed this quote for so long and I still feel it applies more to grip than to drifting although. Here in Kansas I see the kids thrash what they got, they carve the streets. Not because we want to, but because that's all that is readily availible.

I go to STL where there are drift events often and watch 35 of their drivers go at it. What I see from the kids who learned on a track and practice on a track seriously makes me sad. 10 out of 35 drivers are good to ok. 10!

It makes me think, are the kids that thrash the streets cause it's what they got better because they develop some skill that the track bred drifters can't?
Or is it more of the fact that the kids thrashing on the streets are just more into the motorsport that they risk their license/car/blah blah? (read: Want it more)

/end crazy cold/stuffy head induced rant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stig drifting the Miata!!! Kinda Sucky Actually!