Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Operation: Double Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 PM

Operation: Double Swap

I'm in the process of swapping my current 150KMile engine with a 100KMile engine, while simultaneously switching from automatic to 5spd.

Progress so far:
Last week: New timing chain and sprockets and new water pump installed on new engine. Oil pump would have been swapped as well but I was sent the wrong part. It will have to wait until later. Front and rear main seals and head gasket have also been replaced.

Monday: Clutch and brake pedals are installed. Brakes still work but need adjustment. Clutch pedal is not quite in place. Should be an easy fix. Clutch master is installed. I suspect the brake master has a bad secondary seal.

Tuesday: No progress due to injury during pedal installation plus a bad cold.

Wednesday: Engine is almost ready to be removed. Wiring harness is disconnected and out of the way. Exhaust downpipe is disconnected and exhaust manifold will be removed once I get the EGR tube out of the way. Fan, shroud and radiator are out. Electric fan swap will come after the new engine is up and running.

A/C refrigerant was recovered to a tank and A/C return line is disconnected at the firewall. I'm going to try to leave the compressor as well as the power steering pump in the car while the engine is removed.

Tomorrow morning will be spent studying for a final exam at 10AM. After that work will continue. Progress will depend on my ability to get the car on a lift.

Hopefully I will be able to work on it for the entire day Friday as well. If I can it shouldn't be unreasonable to be able to complete it on Friday.

Comments from auto shop instructor:
"Why are you switching from auto to 5-speed? Auto is better on the quarter mile."
"I'm impressed because you're doing a whole lot more than I would have ever bothered with."
"Yeah, when you've got money like this guy you can get stuff like this" (comment regarding my B&M shifter)
"As soon as he's done working on it he's selling it to me for $2500. Plus I'm going to trade him a Ford Bronco."
Old 12-16-2004, 05:28 PM

Thursday update: Reply hazy, try again later.