Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

S13 Synchros

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 PM

S13 Synchros

*yes i searched before posting*

so im curious on the location of the synchros in the s13 tranny....im getting the usuall 3rd gear grind (ironicly none of the others grind.....yet) so i thought i better check on the synchros but sadly enough im not quite sure where they are, (never really worked on tranny before and my roomates dad who will aid me has never worked on an import tranny before) i heard someone say that they are located right under ther shift boot, wanted to know if that is correct...

i did read in my search that a lot of people said that if they change the fluid (with that redline MT-90) it seems to work, also people have gotten new clutches and that also seemed to work, i'll probably do the cheaper and work my way up

and help would be great thanks
Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Look at this thread, you'll be able to find your answer. :]

http://www.club240.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34805

A lot of people say Redline is good in helping with shifting, I've never tried it myself, but I'd start with that, like you said and move on up if that doesn't solve the problem.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:27 PM

yea i keep meaning to download winRar so i can look at that
Old 04-08-2007, 08:47 AM

haha ok

synchros are located on the main shaft of the transmission between the gears. they are what speed up the next gear so that engagement is smooth. not exactly something you can just 'replace'. its alot of work and virtually impossible without certain tools. you would have to remove your transmission, and then completely disassemble it. pull it apart, take the guts out and then realize that you dont have to the tools to fix it hahaha it sucks. youd be better off just buying a better tranny from someone for about $150
ill take some pictures on tues of a tranny i have disassembled and post them up
Old 04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

^^tru

they are expendable man. I am on number 3 in 4 year for various reasons. if you are deep into track comps ect... thats down time not needed so what do you do.......... grab another one quickly for 100 to 300 dollars at the most.

if you are not putting ppg gears sets inside of your tranny its really no point in opening it up.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 AM

yea i figured as much but for some reason my roommate thought they were some where else.....yea more then likely i'll just get a newer one if needed but it looks like it could be an easier fix then i think
Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

yea transmissions are very complex....