Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

trans trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:02 PM

Wink trans trouble

so i finally got bolts for my flywheel on my s13 and me and my boi were trying to put the trans in (this is still my manual conversion) so we finally get it of there and in but theres a half inch gap between the bellhousing and the motor we tried jiggling it and it wont go in any further no matter how hard we pushed or jiggled

is there something im missing here??
the trans isnt close enough for me to screw in im lost any advice is much appreciated

thnx in adv.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

its not all the way in then, its hard to get it right, just move it around or take it off and try putting it back in, also make sure nothing is blocking the pilot bearing or nething like that.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

Did you take out the automatic pilot bearing first? Just asking....
Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 AM

theres an auto pilot bearing?? yea im new to this motor and stuff nood question i probably didnt but how would i get it out?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Bearing puller or air chisel. I do want to know how you got the manual pilot bearing in without taking the auto one out? Or did you even put it in lol...

It's right behind where the flywheel mounts in that hole. It should stick out like 1/4" or so. Pull that one out, then clean out that hole good. Then put lithium grease in the hole and on the manual pilot bearing, and push it in till it won't go anymore. Then bolt up the flywheel clutch etc and put the tranny back on. Make sure you use lithium grease on all moving parts (not flywheel face or clutch of course)...like the throwout bearing, the fork, the fork pivot, the slave clyinder shaft that pushes the fork.

PS: You can borrow a bearing puller and slide hammer from Autozone or whereever if you don't have one.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM

yea i wasnt awear of that thing at first i tried to put in the manual pilot bearing while the auto one was still there haha but i had to rest and left it be till today when i tried to pound that friggen thing out with a hammer and flat head screw driver i dont have the sliding hammer nor a chisel does anyone here live in central jersey and have a sliding hammer that i can borrow for a moment??
Old 05-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Like I said try your local auto parts store they should have one you can borrow. You need a slide hammer and a bearing puller. Do not forget to grease (white lithium grease only) the things I told you when putting it all back together. And make SURE to tighten the flywheel and clutch to spec. I've seen a car with a clutch that exploded. Not a good day in paradise.