Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

2JZ-GTE vs. RB25DET

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 12:41 AM

Back to the topic...

If you only have $6000, why don't you go with the RB20? You can pick one up for around $2000 and Mod the hell out of it. You have to get an R32 Crossmember and a custom driveshaft for the RB25 and you have to get the crossmember, driveshaft, top-mount manifold or single turbo, and an RB25 GTS-T transmission for the RB26. All the skyline motors have the same sweet straight six sound. Mine sounds basically like a Supra but the Idle is a little lopier and it has an 8000rpm redline. I would get the RB20 front clip, Custom FMIC, Full 3in exhaust, larger injectors, T3/T4 turbo (bolts right up), manual boost controller, and an SAFC. It seems to work fine for me
Old 06-18-2003, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
yea i was ganna say that, RB's dont break at all..theyre are like one of the strongest engine blocks ever.
You people obviously aren't around many rb's.... they are notorious for breaking at the local drag races. Granted they are frigin tuned to hell and back, but ive NEVER seen a toyota motor go. Not ever.

RB's are fragile power makers... sorry
Old 06-18-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Monkey Force
You people obviously aren't around many rb's.... they are notorious for breaking at the local drag races. Granted they are frigin tuned to hell and back, but ive NEVER seen a toyota motor go. Not ever.

Any motor is a fragile motor if you don't tune it. You can't compare a tuned Supra w/ an untuned Skyline. That's ludicrous My friend just blew up his Supra motor. Boost controller line got a hole in it and he spiked to 60lbs on a GReddy T78... BOOM! What breaks on these "notorious breaking skyline motors"? I've never heard an RB called "fragile" before.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:22 AM

Apex, doesnt the RB25 come with more power, like 30-40 extra horses than the RB20 does?
Old 06-18-2003, 09:36 AM

The RB25 comes with 250hp and the RB20 has 214hp. You could easily make up that 36hp w/ a manual boost controller and still spend about a $2000 less. However, if you plan on modding past 400rwhp, go with the RB25. I know of 2 people (in the states) w/ 240s that have hit close to 850 with the RB25.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:14 AM

youve never seen a supra motor go?? shiet, they have power. in japan, the cars that rival the skyline is the supra, so if anything, toyota can back their **** up. i used to have a toyota motor, 89 supra mkIII tt.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:07 PM

Yeh im wanting to get around 400-450HP for my car, since it will be a daily driver and not just a track car.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:27 AM

Whoa Whoa Whoa......

Im talking about tuned rb's. THEY BREAK!!!
Dont beleive me, i dont care, but im telling you the truth Come to Japan and see for yourself.

I need to make this clear again... There are 2 different cars you guys are calling one... Theres the Skyline and than theres the GTR. They are in no way the same except that they kinda look alike. The skyline has many many rivals, they're NOT THAT FAST.

I would be upset if i lost to a skyline but i am humbled in the presence of a lightly tuned GTR. Im not there yet but I have many friends who wouldnt hesitate to stomp a mudhole in the backside of a tricked out one.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by apex_7
What breaks on these "notorious breaking skyline motors"?
Actually the RB25 and RB26 blocks are nearly identical. I only know of one person blowing theres up and it wasn't even the motor. He made his own mbc and the spring got offset under full boost. His boost gauge wrapped around into the vacuum and... yeah. He's getting a new turbo soon though.

Monkey Force- Please answer the question above. Not flaming, I just want to know
Old 06-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

isnt a GT-R called a skyline GT-R? or i mean thats the real name..
Old 06-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
isnt a GT-R called a skyline GT-R? or i mean thats the real name..
methinks what da munki is trying to say is that the "skyline" and the "skyline GT-R" differ so much mechanically, that they are practically different models. skylines, the vast majority of which are sedans (and even some wagons), are meant to be more family cars with moderate power, softer suspensions, and relatively tame road handling characteristics. the "skyline GT-R", however, was purpose built for exceptional speed, handling, and the ultimate in driving experience. this could be part of the reason why the two nameplates (the skyline and GT-R) will reportedly part ways from here on out.

for a good comprehensive history on both the skyline and the GT-R variant, click here .

as far as motors blowin and all that, i haven't the slightest idea
hope this helps!
Old 06-19-2003, 10:51 AM

So you're saying putting a turbo on the GTS-T model was to help get on the highway?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:19 PM

Im gonna guess pistons but im not sure. I dont own the car or know the people who own them but I can tell when they go, there is a resounding "aaawww " in the audience followed by a slight chuckle when it happens.
On a good note, however, many diff's go too

Sil40_Mayhem - You hit the nail on the head
Skylines suck, GTR's are cool.

Drop in the 2J dude thats what I wanna do.... that or a 13b.....
Old 06-19-2003, 01:49 PM

Old 06-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Im gonna guess pistons but im not sure. I dont own the car or know the people who own them but I can tell when they go, there is a resounding "aaawww " in the audience followed by a slight chuckle when it happens.
On a good note, however, many diff's go too

Sil40_Mayhem - You hit the nail on the head
Skylines suck, GTR's are cool.

Drop in the 2J dude thats what I wanna do.... that or a 13b.....
hey, thanks Munki! i got a question, though: by 13b, r u referring to the mazda rotary? if so, is there any truth that they break more than anything else? i've heard this in several different places, but can't really confirm the validity of it. there's even someone here on one of the threads (the one with the guy putting an sr20 into an fd rx-7) that claims the same...

so, how has "the rock" been treatin ya (that's what the jarheads call oki, btw)? i was there from '96-97. if i knew then what i know now, i woulda extended out there 2 more years and maybe re-upped i miss that place

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE vs. RB25DET