2JZ-GTE vs. RB25DET - Page 5 - S-Chassis.com

Go Back  S-Chassis.com > Technical Discussions > Engine Swaps
Reload this Page >

2JZ-GTE vs. RB25DET

Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

2JZ-GTE vs. RB25DET

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

i havent been around 13B's that much (i mean the rotary) but from wut i have heard its pretty expensive to keep up and running well, u need to change the seals evry so often and that kost a lot. And it isnt all that reliable.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:22 PM

Lol, yes the 13b is probably the least reliable engine ont he market but it has many qualities i enjoy.........

1. When the motor goes, you can still drive the car This is a very sexy characteristic

2. THE POWER- its so easy to tune these things up to some massive HP

3. 13b's sound so beautiful, no other motor in the world sounds as good as a rotary

4. The weight, this is an obvious one. They weigh nothing and that leads me to my next reason....

5. Its VERY easy to work on. Less moving parts, much more engine bay room, easy to take out and move around the shop and put back in.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

hey munki if u go threw the 13B swap, good luck and i wanna see pics hehe
Old 06-21-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Monkey Force
Lol, yes the 13b is probably the least reliable engine ont he market but it has many qualities i enjoy.........

1. When the motor goes, you can still drive the car This is a very sexy characteristic

2. THE POWER- its so easy to tune these things up to some massive HP

3. 13b's sound so beautiful, no other motor in the world sounds as good as a rotary

4. The weight, this is an obvious one. They weigh nothing and that leads me to my next reason....

5. Its VERY easy to work on. Less moving parts, much more engine bay room, easy to take out and move around the shop and put back in.
It's not that easy to get a lot of power from a 13B. YOu can get power from that just as well as you could from any other motor, but with the piston motors you can detonate and not pop the motor. Something as simple as mixing up the leading and trailing plug wires and boom, run too hot of a spark plug....boom. I'm not bashing the 13b, I love the motor. But the RB beats the sound of a rotary in my ears, and their just too sensitive.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:32 PM

I gotta represent my motor..i love it to death. After a rebuild, a turbo'd KA24DE owns. I'm only running 6psi or boost out of a T3 and it hauls. I'll run more after the forged this and that. Are there any turbo s13 KA's other than me on the board? Every KA i see thats turbo'd is an s14.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by kade4me
I gotta represent my motor..i love it to death. After a rebuild, a turbo'd KA24DE owns. I'm only running 6psi or boost out of a T3 and it hauls. I'll run more after the forged this and that. Are there any turbo s13 KA's other than me on the board? Every KA i see thats turbo'd is an s14.
Have you ran it at the track?
Old 06-22-2003, 03:55 PM

not yet, its been real awful weather around here lately and the one weekend i have money and its nice outside, my friend decides he's going to put in a G57 turbo into his eclipse..so i had to help with that. When i get it to the track, ill post times. But, it'll be my first time at the track, so the times will be awful.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Nismo241
It's not that easy to get a lot of power from a 13B. YOu can get power from that just as well as you could from any other motor
i gotta disagree....by easier, i mean easier on the wallet...

13b requires some porting (maybe) and some seals and you can slap on a T51 R KAI and be straight. This is also easier because there is no head gasket, just some regular gaskets THAT DONT HAVE TO BE METAL. You can take the motor apart and do all this and put it back together with a $100 gasket kit and some RTV. Your good from here on out, until you break it, and even if you do, you can still drive it home and fix it, dont need someone with a toe strap My friend RIGHT NOW, TODAY, is driving his fd on 2 blown rotors..... another has 1 gone and he drives his too.

Piston motors...... piston motors...... we need alot more than that. We need full head tune and full block tune (I dont need to lists whats needed here) to throw on that kind of turbo. To put the motor back together we require a metal head gasket, if we have any power at all, this costs at least $200. When the motor goes it will be gone, we will not be able to drive it, it will need to be towed either by a friend or by some company ending in even more cash gone Its happened to me twice
Old 06-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

i gotta disagree....by easier, i mean easier on the wallet...

13b requires some porting (maybe) and some seals and you can slap on a T51 R KAI and be straight. This is also easier because there is no head gasket, just some regular gaskets THAT DONT HAVE TO BE METAL. You can take the motor apart and do all this and put it back together with a $100 gasket kit and some RTV. Your good from here on out, until you break it, and even if you do, you can still drive it home and fix it, dont need someone with a toe strap My friend RIGHT NOW, TODAY, is driving his fd on 2 blown rotors..... another has 1 gone and he drives his too.

Piston motors...... piston motors...... we need alot more than that. We need full head tune and full block tune (I dont need to lists whats needed here) to throw on that kind of turbo. To put the motor back together we require a metal head gasket, if we have any power at all, this costs at least $200. When the motor goes it will be gone, we will not be able to drive it, it will need to be towed either by a friend or by some company ending in even more cash gone Its happened to me twice
ur friend is runnin on the same engine that blew on him twice? if so then wow haha. U got a few good points monkey...but i know WAY to little on the 13B so i cant really say nething haha.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:15 AM

no

a 13b has 2 rotors, both are blown and he drives it around still
Old 06-23-2003, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

no

a 13b has 2 rotors, both are blown and he drives it around still
gotcha! as notice im not big on rotorary engines...
Old 06-23-2003, 09:17 AM

has anyone ever done a 13B into a 240? I love rotories and i love how my 240 looks. The motor is coming out this winter for a rebuild and some porting work. Could/should i try a 13b swap?
Old 06-23-2003, 12:50 PM

good luck.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:11 PM

Its gonna take 4 BIG things....

Time
Patience
Money
Parts

Im pretty sure ive got the know how but I still am hesitant to attempt it. But if i had an FD and a 240sx sitting beside eachother in my garage, you better beleive i'd be doing it

If the motor was to be installed it would be really far back, im not sure if you would need to mave the firewall back or not. You would need to spend alot of time fabricating a new harness or use EVERYTHING from the other car, ie.... the dash and the wiring harness etc... You would also need to somehow mount the powerplant frame in your mission well. This may require some cutting and welding in there. Your also gonna need to fabricate a driveshaft and if your smart you will get a different diff to go along with it.

IMO - I'd go with the 2J swap over the 13B because they dont break
Old 06-23-2003, 01:37 PM

I know that w/ a 2jz, in 6th gear at 5000rpms you're going 75mph! You'd deffinately need to do something about the gearing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2JZ-GTE vs. RB25DET

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.