Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Engine Removal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 04:35 AM

Engine Removal Problem

I went to pull my engine out yesterday and found I could not put the head bolts throught the L brackets on engine leveler. The L brakets are at the end of a chain. I went and bought some new chain but I still could not tighten down the bolts into the block. I could not find metric bolts long enough to replace ones I needed for removal.

So I went to home depot and bought some 3/8 rod. I am going to cut this rod into sections and thread both ends. Threading is 10-1.5. Hope to be able to thread these rods into the block through the head and attach the other end to the engine leveler. Leveler will be attached to my engine hoist. I think this method will work. I am going to double nut the rods to the L brackets on my engine leveler.

Will let you know how this works out.

Dane
Old 07-20-2004, 05:33 PM

Engine came right out! I am glad I bought the engine leveler. I knew I was going to have to angle engine to 45 degrees. Using the leveler I just broke engine loose, moved it forward and up. As it went up I changed the leveler to a 45 degree pitch and engine with trans came right out. I did cover the air conditioner radiator with two sheets of luan plywood. Engine did lerch forward and bumped the plywood. I knew that would happen so I covered the radiator to protect it.

I took 15 pictures. These pictures cover the studs that I made, mounting them to the head and pulling out the engine with transmission. If anyone wants to see them email me and I will send them out.

My front clip is on its way. RPMrace sent me an email telling me it was shipped last Thursday.

Have a Great Day!

Dane
danermarley@aol.com