Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

just got s14 sr20det. need answers thx

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:04 PM

just got s14 sr20det. need answers thx

Hi, I tried searching but couldn't find much. bare with me

My buddy is helping me put the s14 engine into my s13. I have a megan racing fpr in the mail. He said that my stock fuel rail is small as hell and I should replace it if I am going to up the boost and that I have to take off the stock fpr in order to use the new one.

1. Anyone know how to take off stock fuel pressure regulator and use aftermarket one (Sorry for noob question)?

2. Where to find aftermarket fuel rails for s14 sr20det? I found that HKS makes one for s13 but i dunno about s14.

I found this but it doesn't say if its for the sr20det or not

sard fuel rail

3. Is this upper hose necessary for hooking up a water temp sensor?

I found a blitz hose but its expensive (the attachment is a pic of it)

..I have a samco one in the mail already... is there another way of hooking up a water temp sensor like off the housing for the thermostat?

Thanks for your patience
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2006, 03:18 PM

sorry got 1 more q. When taking out KA motor. Is it easier to take it out with the transmission attatched or should I disconnect the transmission first?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2006, 07:07 PM

its real easy to get it out with the tranny attached. thats what i did for my ka and my sr (i bought a front clip)
Old 11-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

your friend is wrong, unless your going for an insane amount of power the stock one is fine, you DO need a new fuel pump, something like a walbro 255. And depending on how much boost you plan on running you may need bigger injectors..about 14-15psi max on stock injectors..also you would need a front mount intercooler for anything more than 10psi..

you could maybe drill and tap into the metal piping that connects to the radiator hose..but i dont see whats wrong with using the samco hose adapter, thats what its there for...im just tapped into my ecu for my coolant temp, i use an electric fan controller that digitally reads out the temp and tells the fans when to come on..

leave the tranny on, its be a little easier pulling it without it, but thats only if it wasnt already one, its not worth the effort of detaching it...thats harder than pulling it with it on..

just make sure you got atleast 1 or 2 other people there that way as someones lifting it out, the person underneath the car can be pushing on the tranny outwards..

some good websites for parts are

enjukuracing.com
phase2motortrend.com
heavythrottle.com
optionimports.com
autornd.com
Old 11-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

show post..
Old 11-19-2006, 02:36 AM

ya i just installed a walbro fuel pump so im good on that. I don't plan on running anything more than 12-14psi for now until i get internals and bigger injectors done. I do have an intercooler which im gonna put in.

motegineon, what do u mean by the samco hose adapter? like the thermostat housing that comes off the block? tapping into the ecu sounds like a good idea.

I just wanna be able to get the temp for my water temp gauge. i have a dual flexalite fan which i'll be using. I don't really wanna control the fan. I always want it turned on.

got 1 more q for now. I ordered an oem thermostat.. is it necessary?

to my knowledge - The thermostat is in a closed position and when the coolant reaches a certain temperature, the pressure pushes the thermostat open to circulate the coolant throughout the engine...but...

if there is no thermostat, won't the coolant always be flowing to cool down the engine? won't it be better? (my car will only be used for the summer btw)

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

dunno if it will be always flowing but its closed to help your engine reach optimal running temp. with it always open it will take a long time for it to warm up and im not sure but i think its not good to push a cold engine.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

some of the samco hoses have a little hole (adapter) for your to place a water temp sensor, like from a gauge.

yea i was talking about the housing that comes off the block (although i wouldnt do that some people do)

yes the ecu is my preferance, i used an hks fan controller which has my dual flexalites come on 1 at a time at certain temps and also has a built in warning function when temps reach a high level, it displays realtime engine temp via the temp sensor wire that goes into the ecu...quite easy

thermostats work not by pressure but by temp, once the stock one reaches 170 degrees it opens up, i have a nismo thermostat which opens up at 150..

thermostats are not required if its going to be driven in the summer only, yes the fluid will be at a constant flow

I would recommend either running a cooler thermostat (nismo,sard,billion) with keeping the fans on always OR no thermostat with temperature controlled fans...because the engine needs some way of warming up quicker..running it at to low of temps can be detrimental..
Old 11-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

show post....
Old 11-26-2006, 07:54 PM

what would u consider a low temp thats too dangerous for starting up the car?

I mean.. if Im running my car only in the summer, I can't imagine it getting below freezing or anything like that. probably always above 10 degrees celsius at least