Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

probably the dummest question in the world

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 AM

probably the dummest question in the world

hi im new kill m now lol
all questions are based for CA people l.a. specifically

and sory im being very vague wise in the sense of not knowing the engines im mainly a honda person who got into nissans recently so dont shoot me

so i bought my 240 (1990 bone stock fast back)
and like anyone else here i want to swap

iv read the thread onb engine swaps and basically need to ask a couple of questions

1. i read that the SR20 is an illegal swap..duh i get it dont burn me on this, but my question is wut engine did the later models 240s (s14 s15) have in them stock.... and cant that engine be swapped into an older model seeing how its part of the same trim type only newer ???

simply put, cant i swap an engine from a 98 240 into my 90? i dont knoe wut engine models they are

are they part of the KA family??

2. i read in the thread (forgot the name sorry) that if u file the paper work for ur car to be costume build it can pass smog trite...??? my question is, do u have to file ur car as a salvaged first ??

i new a guy who bought a spyder mr-s chassis and just went to town with the car, and he registered it as a salvaged restoration costume build something along those lines...

3. would me giving the car a sil-80 front with an Sr20 be considered one of those costume builds??? mind you still having stock parts for smog??

or am i just stuck looking for someone in CA who can hook it up with a pass smog certification

im asking all this because i do want to swap it and i dont want to get into deep doo doo.... i wanna go the safest route

and say i do swap wut would give me the best chance of not getting caught do to high decible

in other words

wut parts should i consider to keep the noise down and the piggies snout from drawing attention to me??

any answers would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM

In the US the 240 was only released up until 1998, which is the s14 chassis. The s15 was never released here, so that won't help you at all. From 1991-1998, the 240sx came with the KA24DE. No real difference in the engine between the years, just more emission components when they went OBDII in late 1995 productions. It is possible to swap the KA24DE into the 1990 to replace the KA24E, it is a rather common swap for people with the SOHC. As far as Cali legality, I'm sure its legal, but I can't tell you for sure since I don't live there.

I believe the custom build thing you are talking about, is making the car a specialty type car, whether it be a track car or a classic stamp on it. However, in most states, when these are done to cars, the DMV will usually limit the mileage that the car can be driven in a given year, and where the car can be used. You will probably be better off contacting your local DMV to get better info pertaining to exactly what you want.

As for hight decibel laws, just get an exhaust system which will keep the sound down. Add resonators, mufflers, smaller piping, all of those will keep the sound down, some may hinder performance more than others, but they should keep the cops from giving you unwanted attention.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:25 PM

ic ic

well wut about performance in the newer DE engine of the 240...is it better, or is it as hindered as the K24???
Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 PM

The KA24DE is rated at 5-10 more hp than the KA24E stock for stock. Otherwise the output numbers are the same, nothing really different at all besides the emissions systems.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:28 PM

harshness

anyone knoe of a place were i can get my Sr smogged lol
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

damn thats a cali question.. i need to get to emissions so i can see the looks on the faces when they see how low the car is... 2 year wavier....... YAY.

Me: that front mount cost 800 dollars, now u can pull it up there as long as you got a check ready

them: NAaaaaaaaa thats ok, here is your wavier
Old 04-16-2007, 10:29 PM

lucky bugger i wish i was so lucky
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

wow the honda mentality, if i swap a newer SR it should be legal hahah. The Turbo SR will NEVER be legal. To make a car smog compliant, the engine must of been in production on the USA and the same configuration of the car it came out of, example the SR in a G20 is cannot be used as a reference to legalize the Turbo SR in a S chassis since it came FWD and not RWD. I think Jim wolf made the FWD Turbo SR in a sentra or something dont quite remember.

That permit only applies to kit cars and if you can fool some one into thinking a modified 240 is a kit car my hat off to you. Seen is how the vin will be of a production car.