Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Question about Sr20 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 06:22 PM

Question about Sr20 ECU

Alright first let me say I searched but couldn't find an answer. I found stuff that was close but not exact and this is a lot of money to me atleast. I am looking into buying this engine (sr20det) but there is no ecu for it. My question is can I just buy a nissan 300z ecu and hook it up and be good to go or is it more than that? What if there is no wiring harness (I am waiting on email response now)? Can I just buy a standalone like the apexi power fc and be good? Need some help cause I don't want to get screwed on this. Thanks in advance.

Chad
Old 12-24-2002, 12:32 AM

No- you cant plug in a failady computer and expect it to work

Yes- you can buy the power FC (I highly reccomend this) and be good to go if you can get it tuned.

??- I dont know what you will have to modify to get a KA wiring harness to match SR20 but I know that going CA to SR isnt that hard.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:01 AM

Thanks

Alright Man thanks. I was more than likely going to just get the Apexi Power fc but I just wanted some options cause money is kinda on the low right now. I will just make sure to save and get the apexi, Thanks for the help.

Chad
Old 01-05-2003, 06:25 AM

No prob, Bob
Old 01-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Check with the SER guys - they often drop inSR20DETs and run them with stock SR20DE ECU's.

Don't buy the motor if it doesn't have a wiring harness- period. From your guess that a V6 ECU may work, I'm guessing you don't have the soecializd skills necessary to make up a harness.

That's not a put-down, I'm just trying to save you a lot of work and problems.

-Justin
Old 01-05-2003, 11:19 PM

your best bet all around is to not buy the apexi power fc. if you want your engine to be sure to work but a front clip every thing you need and less trouble.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:07 AM

Actually the engine was not for me it was for a buddy that I was gonna do the install for him. I told him to just save up some more cause I couldn't make any promises that the engine would work. At first he told me everything was there except the ecu. I just talked to him the other day and he really wanted the engine. So I called the guy and the engine had no ignitors or maf sensor therefore there is no way in hell I am gonna do the swap . I don't think he ordered the engine but I am not doing the install so it is off my back. I feel bad if he bought it but its not my problem. I warned him if he did buy it.

Chad
Old 01-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

It's probably a trashed motor that somebody stripped for parts... the ignitors are hard to come by, but I think the ones from a Q45 can interchange.

-Justin
Old 01-06-2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Justin.b
It's probably a trashed motor that somebody stripped for parts... the ignitors are hard to come by, but I think the ones from a Q45 can interchange.

-Justin
Yeah thats what I was thinking and I tried to tell my buddy. That is why i don't want any part of the install either. Its just not worth it to me. Even if the q45 are interchangeable after all is said done it would come out cheaper to just buy a front clip. Besides I am yet to do an SR20 swap and don't want to mess it up specially since I like the kid. Although I hope to be doing one for myself pretty soon. I made that mistake once with a honda swap and won't do it again. The kid I did the swap for still blames me for it even after he brought it to a honda dealership and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. Thanks for the help.

Chad