Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Questions on sr20det engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 12:37 PM

Questions on sr20det engine swap

Hi, my name is derek and I have a couple questions about buying a SR20DET S13 redtop engine. I am planning on buying a 91' 240sx and want to do a swap to this engine. The only problem is that I don't know where would be the best place to order the engine. I want to use this car as a daily driver, and plan to bring it up to the 350-400 hp range in the next few years. I want the car to have A/C and power steering also. So far, the best product I have found seems to come from heavythrottle.com, where the sell swap kits for everything you need to do the swap, and still keep A/C and power steering. I was thinking about getting the basic swap package, and upgrading to a larger turbo down the road, because, being a student, money is rather tight right now. I was just wondering your opinion on where I could get the best product for the money, while still keeping installation as easy as possible, because if i can save enough money, i want to upgrade to a larger turbo right away. I was also wondering if anyone knows what I will need to do the swap. I have around $7500 to spend on the swap and any extra parts. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help. - Derek
Old 01-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

well this is what i did and it seems to be damn good.

s13 redtop 1750 jazzpropartsinc.com
greddy front mount 699 enjukuracing.com
greddy downpipe 115 enjukuracing.com
hks hot pipe with hks ssq bov price? enjukuracing.com
apexi turbo timer 100 enjukuracing.com
apexi s-afc 2 319 enjukuracing.com
custom titanium exhaust manifold 400

after labor and all that im at $6500
Old 01-17-2005, 03:46 PM

I was planning on doing all of the labor myself, so that should also cut down on the cost. Thanks for your help. Anyone else have an opinion? I checked into the parts from the places you listed, and I come up with Heavy Throttle's package is a better value, because you get an engine and transmission and everything you listed for less money, minus the air/fuel controller. Check out thier website www.heavythrottle.com and cluck on engine swap kits, then click on the basic kit. Thanks.

Last edited by d_preuss; 01-17-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

get an sr from phase2motortrend. wayne and howard wont steer you wrong. get a downpipe, front mount, hot pipe, exhaust. get an lsd, good tires and re-vamp the tired *** suspension. you wont regret it. if you put too much money into just the engine youll soon realize these cars are old enough to have other issues that youll soon hate. and since you probably would have run low on funds by then it will be too late. the bushings get old on these cars, the tension rods go bad, and if you go fast you got to be able to stop fast, so get decent brake pads, stainless lines, and good brake fluid at the very least. my .02 cents.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:08 PM

sorry for asking such a stupid question, but what do you mean when you say "lsd" Also, would it be wise to completely rebuild the new SR engine before doing the swap? When I say rebuild, I mean completely new internals. Or, will the engine last? Also, I am still leaning towards going with heavy throttle's basic S13 swap package, just because I think it is the best bang for your buck, and it seems to be the most straightforward swap package I have seen. Remember, I am going to have to do this out of my garage at my apartments! So, if anybody has had any experience with heavy throttle, please tell me what you think. Thanks. - Derek

Last edited by d_preuss; 01-17-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

an lsd is a limited slip differential, the rear end gear. it will allow you to have more traction cause both wheels will spin instead of one (open diff.) there is no need to completely rebuild your engine unless it is blown or you plan on some big boost. just get the new parts you think you need to keep the car in good condition, like water pump oil pump belts plugs etc..
Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 AM

Okay, thanks for you help. I do however plan to run a larger turbo in the future, probably a t4 or a big28. Would my engine still be ok?

Last edited by d_preuss; 01-18-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I just owered from phase2 and Howard is hooking me up, check my sig for whats being worked on as we speak