Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

SR20DET - Definately NOT Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by dekand
the skyline cluster does fit in the s13 and s14... the r33 fits almost perfectly in the s14, its just the mounting locations aren't the same...
I was talking R32, since that's what would most likely come with an RB20/25
Old 04-02-2004, 10:16 PM

Oh yeah, oh yeah , oh yeah .....oohhhhh s@#t! Thanks l2aine. You're look so hot!

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with you researching what you're about to spend money on. I encourage it because you may get screwed.

I get sick of the "mine is better" bickering that goes on between owners. I believe each engine has its strong points and weak points depending on what you want to do with it. I think people saying "mine is the best" is just being arrogant. And it just might be the best engine/car combination for all I know. As long as they have the graphs and trophys to prove that their set-up wins all. That includes dyno, drag, track, auto-cross, and drift, etc.

just my 2 cents. could be wrong

Last edited by xjon; 04-02-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PROJECTRB240SX
RB20DETS ONLY CAME IN R32'S WHEN THEY WERE PUT IN SKYLINES. YOU WILL AHVE TO BUY ELECTRIC FANS FOR ANY OF THE RB SWAPS.... OR YOU CAN USE 2 OF THE A/C AUXILLARY FANS.
RB20DET's came in the R31 and R32 Skylines...they were also in 200ZR's and Cefiros...probably came in more cars than just that, but those are all I can recall at the moment.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by xjon
Oh yeah, oh yeah , oh yeah .....oohhhhh s@#t! Thanks l2aine. You're look so hot!
i like this "You're look so hot!" all i have to say is hahahha your gay.....

but seriosly though thats why i wouldnt have my avatar be my gf, cuz i dont wanna think about other people beating off to her picture...

damn it i cant believe i was like every one else.. my bad |2rain... my friend had imported a twin turbo coswort (i thought it was stock) because why would you twin turbo a 4****ter, but i do remeber watching a round of the WRC where it was a twin turbo..

Last edited by irax; 04-03-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by irax
i like this "You're look so hot!" all i have to say is hahahha your gay.....

but seriosly though thats why i wouldnt have my avatar be my gf, cuz i dont wanna think about other people beating off to her picture...
Beat it til it's blue, because I get the real thing

Anyhow, I'm getting close to deciding between the SR and the RB (probably the RB20). Since I have an S14, I couldn't go with the red top without extra mods, can I? I know the blacktop is as close to drop-in as possible (since, again, it came in an S14).

But honestly the RB20 idea is still growing on me. I blame it on my love for the first car that ever made me speechless (The R32 Skyline).

Anyone willing to put up the absolute total "drive my car in and drive it out" cost for the SR or RB swap, as well as who did the work? I've been told that swaps can be done in less than a day from an experienced installer, meaning I drive my car there in the morning (or as early as I actually wake up LOL) and in 4-6 hours I can bring that baby home. Is this true?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:31 AM

This thread should be closed by now, IMO

S14 wiring is hell. The FSM is wrong half the time, no joke. Phase2Motortrend has hand-made charts from all the different cars they've done. They're one of the few places where they wire up <i>everything</i> on your SR to work. Most places say "plug and play" they mean the car *starts up*.
So imagine trying to put the RB into the S14. I'm sure the few people who've done it had to sit around with a multimeter, two harnesses, two FSMs, some paper and a lot of wire.

I've heard 11 hours for an S13 SR swap. If your harness is prepared, I'm sure a shop with a lift, engine crane and a few guys coud get your car done pretty quick. Usually turnover is about a week or a few days though.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:40 AM

cameron are you trying to start a bash fest here too?

the rb20det that we all know and love came in the r32 skyline.... all the others are redtops (way less power). The rb20det platform shows up in the r31 and r32 skylines, 200zr, cefiro, older laurels, and a few other cars. The only cars with the silver top is the Newest cefiro and the r32 skyline which is why I posted it comes in the r32 skyline. Now why in the world would you buy a redtop rb20det when it has less power than a ca18det? ****ing moron!

Last edited by PROJECTRB240SX; 04-03-2004 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Lets get back on topic guys, no name calling or talking bout raines gf.

Raine, I dont know of any professional shop around here that does a RB swap and is reputable. Unless you want to take a couple hours drive down to Mckinney and have them do it(expect to pay quite a lot)I think they will do the best job of the wiring for the RB->S14
Old 04-03-2004, 04:35 PM

i wanted a sr before i even had my 240. after reading forums i found out the rb could be swapped pretty easy. after dreaming of an rb26 for a while, i think im going for a rb20det. it makes more power than the sr, cheaper than sr, and all the other stuff we argue over and over. i can live with the extra 65lbs of the rb20 and a engine thats older than my car. i don't want crazy power, 250rwhp is more than enough for me. i would get the mounts to spare the hood, swaybar, and turbo problems. i would do the swap myself and even take a crack at wiring it. one problem i see is getting a clip to hawaii, gonna cost a lot for shipping from the mainland and the local inporters charge an arm and a leg too.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:19 PM

Where in Hawaii? I'm from Kaneohe, Oahu.... Next Time I go out there I'll pack on in my suitcase for you.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:37 PM

Ewa Beach, Oahu. i wish i could fit an rb20 in a suitcase... maybe if i take the engine apart and send it in pieces. lol
Old 04-04-2004, 07:12 PM

Ewa Beach.... Haven't been on that side for awhile. My aunty used to live there now she lives in kapahulu. Venus-Auto ships to hawaii for rather cheap, you may want to try them out.

Hows the street scene out there? I heard there have been alot of crack downs lately.... well thats what my cousin is saying.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:26 AM

street seen... fast and furious is running ramped, 12 year old boys want AE86s, and every other honda has those clear euro lights. (but i think its like that everywhere)

the recon crap is being enforced more. a bunch of cops hasseled me for a ½hour and about my stock exhaust that doesn’t look stock too them.

there’s been a bunch of street racing accidents and last one involved some innocent people. everything gets accused of street racing and they completely overlook that all the accidents involve alcohol. they crack down on street racing, but overlook drunk driving.

good thing about hawaii is you can get away with a swaped engine. no smog and no hood popping stuff.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:41 AM

YEAH I KNOW.... IT WAS A JOKE WHEN I WAS DOWN THERE AND IT WAS SOUNDING LIKE IT WAS GETTING WORSE. I USED TO HAVE AN OUT WHEN I WAS THERE..... MY UNCLE BUDDY WAS ONE OF THE MOST RESPECTED GUYS ON THE POLICE FORCE BUT HE WAS ARRESTED IN THAT PRISON BEATING SCANDAL (MY LAST NAME IS DE RAMOS BTW.... ITS A SMALL ISLAND SO CHANCES ARE YOU KNOW A DE RAMOS OR A LINDO). ANYWAY, I MAYBE HELPING MY COUSIN SOON SO I MAYBE OUT THERE BUILDING A DRIFT MACHINE FOR HIM.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

...okay I guess now this thread should be closed.

Quick Reply: SR20DET - Definately NOT Impressed