Head Unit Install dont know what I did

Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 AM

Unhappy Head Unit Install dont know what I did

I got a wiring harness installed my old head unit and it worked for a day or 2 then one day the thing came on for 30 seconds or less and then stoped playing sound... Everything else worked on the head unit just no sound from any form of input...

My cousin said the head probably went out so I went to Best Buy bought a nice JVC. Installed it had it all wired up turned it on the thing flashed for all of 10 seconds and now nothing but the Eject light and Power Button keep flashing...

Heres the thing though my rear speekers are lighted and running off of the
12V ingnition wire that hooks into the radio harness... They wont light up any more when the ignition is on... This leads me to believe its a fuse... nothing Radio wise will work although I hear my antenna go up which I dont understand...

BUT I checked EVERY FUSE in the kick pannel (my fuse cover is missing so I dont actually know what fuse is which one check specific ones so I have to check them all)

Any one have any ideas? Also the head unit itself has a fuse which is fine along with one built into the wiring harness which is fine. And I wired in a fuse to my speaker lights in the back... Fine aswell...

What did I do?? Like I said the Radio juist blinks 2 lights at me and ONLY when the ignition is completly off it does nothing with ignition on...
Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Check the ground for your stereo. There is no actual ground through the harness. You either have to ground it to the chassis or have to rely on the antenna for grounding. I would recommend grounding it to the chassis. If this does not solve your problem, then go through the wiring and make sure your getting 12volts to the yellow wire at all times and then 12 to the red wire with the ignition on. The black wire is your ground wire.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:48 PM

i assume you have done the stock amp bypass, in which case check all the wires back there in the trunk and make sure they are all still connected. i had something similar happen to me and that was the problem.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:57 PM

Stock amp bypass? I didnt do it but it had an aftermarket system that was removed when I bought it from the orginal owner. I dont know what he did... And I have it grounded so I guess I gotta narrow the multimeter from work and see whats up... So if I dont have voltage when I check those wires what is the cause? Like I said I checked every fuse in the kick panel...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 AM

there is no stock amp bypass in your car...only some models would have came with that..one of those speakers may be bad...having them light up with the 12v from the radio would be fine. If you have a bad speaker the radio may be shutting off the output to protect itself from damage. And yes check the ground
Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 AM

I had to take off my door panels, take out my aftermarket speakers that were installed by the previous owner..and then there was an amplifier behind it, then run your own speaker wire..for every speaker, I have a 91 SE. not 100 percent sure if its an se cause it was repainted and no spoiler, but looks like there was before. haha. I also had hicas/abs/vlsd. If you have any of that ****, chances are you probably have the premium audio package or whatever. So gut them amps out.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM

Sounds like something is loose or is shorting out. Are you sure all the wires are hooked up correctly? As far as your power antenna, its getting power from the blue wire in the aftermarket radio harness. It should have its own chassis ground. Try disconnecting the speaker wires in the harness and see if the radio works with just the power wires and a chassis ground. If it doesn't, than you might have messed up the new deck or have bad wire connections. If it does work, try hooking up one speaker at a time.